Kodak Carousel projector question (850H)

I have a Kodak Carousel projector, model 850H, from the early 1980's (more or less), with a damaged resistor that I am trying to identify.

Specifically, when opening up the projector, I saw that there is a large resistor sitting under the fan. This is a ceramic covered resistor, an inch and a half long, a quarter inch in diameter (i.e. big). The ceramic coating has cracked off the resistor, exposing the coiled wire inside. My search on the web has told me that this is a dropping resistor, for when you switch the projection lamp to "low". I found the Kodak part number (191985) at micro-tools.com. It was in Kodak's part list, but with no further details on it.

I would like to replace this resistor, but need the specs on it. They were printed on the resistor, but I can't read it, since the ceramic coating it was printed on has fallen apart. Can anyone help me with this? If I know the resistance and wattage, and rated voltage, I should be able to replace it easily enough.

Other question: Would it be a problem (either in terms of operation or safety) to use the projector with this damaged resistor?

Thanks for any help! DanK

Reply to
DanK

Start with Electronics/Electrical 101 a drpping resistro is dropping the actual voltage on the projector lamp.

Do you have a VOM or DVM ?? If the resistor has not been damdged (other than ceramic coating) -- you may get a reasonable resistance rating (in ohms) to start with. From description sounds like a 10 or 25 watt rated resistor.

No, I would NOT operate projector with this damaged (exposed) resistor. Some desldering wick and a good bench soldering station - you shoudl have that removed in less than 1 minute.

IF these 2 steps above are beyond your skill set -- consult a quality appliance or electric technician (HV AC inside).

gb

Reply to
gb

Ebay manual seller, "nikondave" sells excellent manuals for this projector as well as many other brands/models.

This series of projector also used what's called a "trans-motor". It's a blower motor with extra windings in it used as a power transformer. This "trans-motor" provides the low voltage ac to the little circuit boards inside the projector.

Kodak discontinued all parts for this series projector and K.M.R. Electronics

is now the only source for parts for this series of slide projectors.

Reply to
Ken Layton

Oh, by the way, the Carousel series was manufactured from 1969 through

1978 (or so).

Some of the folks on the

forums do slide projector repairs.

Reply to
Ken Layton

DanK-

From what you say, the projector is functioning with the resistor. Therefore, you should be able to measure it to determine resistance (power disconnected, of course!) and measure voltage across it when it is doing its job. Voltage squared divided by resistance is the power it is burning. Double that for a safety factor, and you have a good estimate of its specs.

Ideally you should replace the resistor. Practically, it will most likely continue to function with no ill effects. It would not be safe to touch the bare coiled wire, but neither would it be safe to touch the wires on the ends of the resistor while power is applied. Anything that might inadvertantly make contact with the coiled wire, might also touch the connecting wires with similar results.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Hi Fred,

Don't worry about the ceramic coating flaking off the power resistor. As long as the electrical part is functioning, it will work just fine. The ceramic coating provides some degree of electrical insulation to prevent getting a shock when touching it but with the projector bottom cover in place, there's no shock hazard. If you'd like to replace it anyway, the value is 5 ohms at 25watts. You can email me ( snipped-for-privacy@snet.net) for source and price info.

Reply to
atomk

Hi Atomk...

I respectfully suggest replacing it. That resistor sits in the air flow of the fan, and I suspect it's rated dependent on that air flow.

Concern would be that if the fan should stop that the resistor would overheat, at which time I'd like the flame resistant ceramic to be there :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel