Kodak Carousel 860H Projector

Hello, all. After 20+ years of home storage, I finally fired up the subject slide projector (Kodak's top-of-the-line in its day) which I purchased new way back when. The projector functioned but I have a cosmetic problem to solve. The rubber (?) retaining rings that secure the two wood-grained inserts to the side panels of the projector have broken in several spots due to dry rot. Anyone have any suggestions? The parts list for this projector shows only the side panels (which I presume includes the retainers and inserts). But then there's the problem of spare parts...Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to

Don't toss the old parts. Glue or scotch tape the pieces together. Fill any gaps with some kind of putty. Using the old part as a pattern, make a two part mold using plaster of paris. Smear the contact surfaces with vaseline so that you can take it apart. Fill the mold with your favorite rubber compound (I used hard automotive RTV) to clone the part. Clean up the flashing with an Xacto knife.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Thanks, for the detailed info, Jeff. I wouldn't have guessed how to make new rubber retainers/bumpers. Folks who restore pinballs and jukeboxes probably know this stuff. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to
J.B. Wood

Also check with antique auto restorers. It's not very difficult. I've done it many times with good success. There are plenty of instructions available on the web. For example: and so on. Plenty more including kits and presses. If you need something flexible, definitely look into Sugru.

Incidentally, plaster of paris and FixAll molds are my favorites, but you can also make formed molds from just about anything than hardens, such as silicon rubber. You can also machine or gouge a mold from wood, metal, plastic, whatever.

Good luck.