JVC 56WP30, bad convergence ICs. Which resistors go bad?

I received the STKs today, but have heard there are several low ohm resistors that open up when these go bad. Wanted to see if I could get a heads-up on which ones to look for before I dig into this beast. Wondered if anybody knew which ones they are? If not, I'll hunt them down. Thanks.

Lee's TV Mike

BigMike

Buy a DVM and check the handful of resistors around the STKs. There aren't more than a dozen.....

John

Reply to
John-Del

Hi John. I've been in business for over 30 years, so I have plenty of DVMs. I just wanted a heads up on this chassis before I dug in. I found a

2.2 ohm resistor open. The set works great, but the auto convergence only brought the center in close. I was able to set it manually though. The heatsinks the STKs are mounted on run pretty hot, but the chips themselves seem to be running within a reasonable range. Is it normal for the heatsinks to run hot on these chips? >
BigMike

They do run very warm, but the heatsink should not be so hot as to burn your fingers when held tighly for 5 seconds or so. If the STKs are OEM, and the geometry is correct, it's likely fine.

John

Reply to
John-Del

Thanks John. I ordered these ICs through Union Electronics, so not real sure how close to OEM they are. They seem to be working fine, though the heatsinks feel a little warmer than I would like. If by any chance they don't hold up, I will probably have to get OEM replacements. Here's hoping they stay working :)

BigMike