Bad Tuner?

Got this 32" Sony right now, don't have the model # handy but it's a '99 model. Nothing but snow with a few barely visible lines, looks like it's trying to tune something in but not succeeding. A/V input works fine. The customer was not in possesion of it when it quit, so they aren't sure if it was hit by lightning or not. To confirm that the tuner was bad, I first checked all supply voltages to the tuner - all were perfect. I then injected a signal into the IF output of the tuner - this produced a good solid image. That probably confirms a bad tuner, but I want to be absolutely sure before I replace it (a replacement runs about $150). I don't have a lot of experience with tuners because customers seldom ever bother to have them replaced. So have I diagnosed this properly? Or is there anything else I should check? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Chris F.

It does seem that your tuner is bad...maybe check into getting a rebuilt tuner, and get the refund for your own tuner? Does anyone still do that?

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

'99

it

of

bad

replacement

Reply to
Chris F.

Some Sony TV use tuners compatible with Philips Tuners. There are cheaper. UV916 Philips replace some Sony tuners made in Spain

Marcel Beysselance

marcel.beysselance@hi-tek.fr
www.hi-tek.fr
Reply to
Marcel Beysselance

Chris,

First, let me warn you that I'm an audio servicer, not a TV guy.

Several years ago, I had the same problem with my own Sony KV-20TS27 (1991 vintage). A friend of mine who works on TV's all the time had me remove the tuner and resolder lots of grounds, especially the ones made by fitting the outer shields on the tuner block. It seems that Sony (or the tuner mfg.) relied on the bent metal tabs going to pins coming up from the PC board to make some important grounds. Soldering them made the covers (shields) much harder to remove if you needed to, but did fix the tuner.

I have no idea if this will apply to your 1999 vintage set, though he indicated that it was a common problem in the tuners Sony used.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

"Chris F." wrote:

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

You might want to try TipTopTuner.com to see if they can repair yours. I have used them before and found them to be quite good. They only charge $27.00 John

Reply to
jdgill

Thanks for that link, it's nice to know that someone out there still rebuilds tuners, and for a decent price.

Reply to
Chris F.

Wonder if the aerial socket has been knocked or pulled sideways and broken the PCB? Sony have a habit of doing this with the BNC connections on some of their pro monitors rather than supporting it mechanically as well.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)