Bad Omen?

I was looking up a part on Mouser. In the People Also Bought section, I = saw exclusively parts from my project list.

It seems like no one else buys these, which is probably a bad sign...

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Tim Williams

Maybe they don't like paying 3x the price for those parts?

CHeers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I don't know about that, I've shopped around and it's no worse than a = factor of 2, with most of them being on par or better.

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Tim Williams

What parts are they? Boutique stuff?

I remember a long, long time ago when I bought some shares (really a small amount of money) of a tiny company. Right afterwards the share price went up and some minutes later it was back down to what I had paid.

BTW, sum'thin is wrong with the line breaks on your newsreader. Well, problem is there are none ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Oh, forgot one thing that might cause it: Do you have a river near where you live? Take some good binoculars and check whether a submarine periscope and some antennas are sticking out the water, with a Chinese flag on there, looking at your house :-)

Or maybe a van with Russian license plates that had never parked at your street before ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Regular stuff, a power transformer, a film capacitor, resistors...

paid.

Sell sell sell! ;-)

Reads fine here. Does Thunderbird not do word wrap?

where

Wait, how'd YOU know I live next to a river?

Spies everywhere!!! ;-)

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Tim Williams

of 2, with most of them being on par or better.

As a matter of fact Mouser is not _THAT_ bad. It is almost on par with Arrow/Avnet/etc. Sometimes even cheaper. And in most cases their markup is less than 100%.

That is another twin, DigiKey, that has everything marked up to the ears. I never understood why people do purchase anything from them...

And BTW, they (Mouser) sometimes have very interesting parts, e.g. Toshiba

2SK369GR JFETs that I bought their entire stock (of 400 :)) a week ago.
*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushyn

Tim Williams wrote: : I was looking up a part on Mouser. In the People Also Bought section, I saw exclusively parts from my project list.

Exactly the same thing happened to me with Farnell once. I think the reason was that my second order (a few weeks later) contained somewhat similar combination of items that the web server heuristics associated it with my earlier order. Felt a bit creepy, though...

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

markup is

ears. I

I've occasionally found good deals at Digikey. No one else sells cheap = high-current capacitors. Actually, now no one does, because Digikey = isn't even buying them anymore.

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Tim Williams

of 2, with most of them being on par or better.

Their online catalog/parts search interface is a pile of crap compared to their competitors, too.

Reply to
Bitrex

snipped-for-privacy@newsfe23.iad...

is

s. I

high-current capacitors. =A0Actually, now no one does, because Digikey isn= 't even buying them anymore.

I buy mostly from Digikey, because they have good prices on prototype quantities (2 to 5) uCs. Everything else just tack on to the order. Mouser is sometimes cheaper on passives and other stuffs, but I am not creating another order just for that. Production parts (R and C reels) come directly from China.

Reply to
linnix

Bitrex wrote: : Sergey Kubushyn wrote: : > As a matter of fact Mouser is not _THAT_ bad. It is almost on par with : ... : > That is another twin, DigiKey, that has everything marked up to the ears. I : : Their online catalog/parts search interface is a pile of crap : compared to their competitors, too.

I like both Mouser and Digikey search engines, at least they are snappy. Farnell search engine is so SLOW that I avoid using Farnell altogether if I don't need the parts overnight.

The Farnell engine used to be OK, but some years ago they 'improved' their web pages and their speed went downd drastically. It's beyond me what sort of script kiddies were able to sell the web page 'improvement' project to the Farnell CEO, and whether the CEO realizes that they are probably losing business because of this.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

He prolly did the demo on an i7 with 12G of RAM connected directly to the corporate LAN.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sure it does, when set up right. It's only your posts that do not wrap properly. When replying I fix them with "re-wrap".

Have your people call my people, they'll explain it :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I often order the bulk of parts from Mouser, a few random things from = Digikey, and power resistors or capacitors from Allied.

Allied's website is harder to navigate, but their inventory is smaller = and prices not too bad. Plus they have online deals. Their printed = catalog is best, and also looks nice, not like Digikey's ugly catalog.

Speaking of catalogs, Mouser's comes in handy sometimes, like when = ordering parts that just don't fit into the database well (ferrite beads = and switches for example). I've never found Digikey's catalog useful.

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Tim Williams

of 2, with most of them being on par or better.

Because they have the only search engine that works.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I gave up on Farnell long ago via the net. It just sits there most of the time crawling, I have no time for that crap.

Reply to
Jamie

of 2, with most of them being on par or better.

Do they? And another question -- even if they were so unique why would one start searching anything on DigiKey (or whatever be it Mouser/Allied/Arrow/etc?)

It is much wiser to start with something like findchips.com or Octopart that would search _MULTIPLE_ sites for you and then you could choose which one to use... Octopart even has a FireFox plugin that installs alongside with Google and friends.

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushyn

factor of 2, with most of them being on par or better.

Oh yeah. None of the others comes even close. And they know it.

As I said, because I find stuff the fastest on Digikey. My clients have to pay for my time on their projects and on their behalf I need to be frugal with billed hours. Even if the parts for 2-3 prototypes end up costing five bucks more that's peanuts compared to the frustrating extra half hour on one of the other sites.

That only works if you already know what you want, down to the part number. I often must peruse the selection, see what's there, high in stock, low in price. The main reason is that most of my circuitry is discretes, not big fat ICs where you just key in a part number. My searches are more like "I need something in the 0.01uF range but sturdy for RF currents and at least 200V" or "I need a 50V/2A Schottky but it has to be cheap".

Regards,

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg

factor of 2, with most of them being on par or better.

Yes.

Because they give one a good idea what's really available and a "budgetary" price (normal price ~= DigiKey * .6). I then specify production hardware, generally, from Arrow or Avnet. Sometimes Future and a few others.

Why? I'm not buying from them anyway. DigiKey availability tells me a lot.

Reply to
krw