Bad resistors

Got 10 resistors on tape marked 2M7. Used one, circuit did not work right. Took some testing ... before I measured the resistors. Of the 10 several are 620 k and not 2M7. Bought from

so beware. All are marked with the right color code for 2M7.

New to me :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

what's the color code for M again?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

green :)

Reply to
TTman

Sure you didn't hold the resistors while measuring?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:09:48 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

LOL, no I know about that one :-) I was so suprized I measured them 3 times, and then again a little later.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

A normal handheld DVM barely measures 1MOhm correctly so anything up there and over will not likely be easily measured with cheap handhelds.

Reply to
DrParnassus

Wow, you really are a fresh out of or still in school know nothing dweeb.

Reply to
DrParnassus

Apparently some read correctly.

Reply to
Richard Henry

AlwaysWrong! AlwaysWrong! AlwaysWrong!

1.1 meg and 4.7 meg, 5% resistors read...

Fluke 8845A benchtop 1.08220 M 4.6390 M

Fluke 87 handheld 1.083 M 4.64 M

Fluke 75 handheld 1.084 M 4.66 M

The last two haven't been calibrated in years.

The biggest problem is the terrible TC of the carbon film resistors.

I'll try a cheap Extech when I get home.

AlwaysWrong! AlwaysWrong! AlwaysWrong!

John

"Dr Parn Ass"

** My 15 year old Fluke 70 Series 2 reads still reads resistors of 10 and 20 mohms within 1%.

As do several other budget DMMs of similar age.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I will assume you have a decent meter and know how to use it.

The web store looks like a tiny business, and you seem to be complaining that you bought electronic components from a guy who explained on his site that he is a software engineer, and now you are not happy with your results.

Before posting bad words about him publicly, he deserves to hear from you and have an opportunity to correct the problem. Try to resolve the problem first, before posting to the world.

Aside from that, I've heard many stories of reject electronic parts being resold by unethical businesses. Because of that, I always buy parts from large, well-known companies (e.g., Mouser and Digi-Key in the USA). Even they are not absolutely 100% perfect.

Jay Ts

Reply to
Jay Ts

Very few.

Reply to
DrParnassus

Sorry, John. Where I come from accuracy matters, and an inaccurate reading is no reading at all.

And no, there is absolutely no way to guarantee the accuracy of the reading ever, under any circumstance at that end of the range, past

1Mohm. even finger oils on the part that you DID just touch, makes a difference. And yeas, I know that you are too stupid to have thought about that aspect.

The calibration houses will not even cal one at that end of the range, and they'll tell you so.

Reply to
DrParnassus

No, it doesn't.

No, they do not. Try again.

Reply to
DrParnassus

Extech model 26: 1.088, 4.68. It's pretty cold, been soaking in the garage for a year or so. It's a pretty nice meter, for a cheapie: it does t/c temperature, capacitance, frequency, duty cycle.

Oh, did I mention that you're AlwaysWrong?

John

Vhat is Wouter up to?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

What are you talking about? The spread on my measurements is under half a per cent. The benchtop agrees with the '87 to a tenth of a per cent at 1M and 5M.

How perfectly idiotic of you. I routinely make measurements up to 1 Tohm. For the innumerate out there, that's a million megohms.

My Keithley 610C will measure up to 1e14 ohms, 100 million million ohms in math-phobic terms. I buy 1 Tohm 5% 0805 resistors and they read within about 5%.

Fingerprints are no problem at 1 Gohm (that's a thousand megohms to you.) Well, depending on what's on your fingers.

AlwaysWrong. Always.

John

7.5Mohm/V? Hahahahaha what a cheap meter! My old analog meter was 20MOhm per volt input impedance.

And you actually think that the CLAIMED 1.2% accuracy claim of resistance readings applies at the fringes of the scale? Sure, bub. At

40M Ohm, 'coffee breath' changes the reading.

A 40M Ohm scale? Hahahahahahaha... Sure, bub. You would not even be able to zero the meter and the basic Ohms test circuitry is too low in voltage to test values that high.

Even then accurate readings can only be counted on if the meter is permanently mounted in a 'breeze free', humidity controlled box and the reading be taken from within with all those values logged for each reading.

Outside the box, one could acquire a reading that can be between 7 and

12 percent off the mark on the bottom of range values and even worse than that as resistance goes up toward the top of the range..
Reply to
DrParnassus

It was probably 20K ohms per volt. "Ohms per volt" applied to non-amplified VOMs, and that's - with a 50 uA meter movement - about as good as they ever got.

Wrong, again.

You still seem to be thinking in terms of old fashioned VOMs. How old are you anyhow?

The Extech measured the 1M and 5M resistors just fine.

Ludicrous. I don't start to need shielding until 1G ohms or so.

It's hilarious that you claim to have worked with high voltage power supplies.

John

If the resistors are bad, then tame them using a whip!

Reply to
Robert Baer