Ion it USB turntable

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 03:09:04 -0500, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote (in article ):

Actually there are a lot of people doing this:

There is even a guy who can recover sound from photographs of old records :-)

--
Nelson
Reply to

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:17:28 -0500, josephkk wrote (in article ):

[snip]

True, but then financial reality always intrudes and we are forced to deal with trade-offs :-)

--
Nelson
Reply to

99% of all stereo consoles used ceramic pickups. Almost all USB turntables use ceramic pickups.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It is usually better to track at above 1 gram. I have found that setting tracking to less than a gram damages a record more than using a higher setting. (The stylus has a tendency to lose contact with the record and when the stylus lands it gouges out pieces of vinyl.) Chuck

Reply to
chuck

cartridge

from

Audacity as i know it, comes free with Linux. Which one are you talking about?

Reply to
josephkk

There is no need for a preamp if it's ceramic, even if the cartridge output goes into a built-in DAC. If there's a switch for a built-in phono preamp, it's a magnetic cartridge. I've seen a lot of Audio Technica (or clone) cheapies used for this, but I've not seen the Ion.

Problem is, the newer plastic tables are utter crap, even to the point of resonating audibly as the record plays.

My recomendation is to refurbish an older (REAL) turntable and run it through a USB preamp, but I realize that these days, many people are simply wanting a simple, "Plug-n-Play" solution.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

...or even better, track at the cartridge manufacturer's recommended weight! The specs for most carts are available online.

Most magnetic carts track somewhere between 1-5 - 3.5g. The damage caused by tracking weight set too low comes from the tip rattling about in the upper part of the 'groove' and bouncing off the groove walls, instead of following a proper path in good contact with each side.

-B