Ion it USB turntable

Got this thing in for repair. It has no output from either the RCA cables on line or phono out or the USB out. The interface board has a great deal of smt circuitry on it and I'm thinking that this is probably a waste of time but I had to ask. Anyone ever worked on one of these? Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

My method would be first to measure the power supplies at the smt op-amp pins to make sure they are there.

Second to make sure there is an output from the cartridge to the circuitry - inject a signal into the circuitry to check this, or just your finger to make a buzz.

If none of the above you are indeed probably wasting your time.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

If all else fails, bypass the circuitry and just wire the cartridge up to the RCA output sockets, then you can use the deck like a 'normal 'TT with any amp having a Phono input.

-b

I would do it if it was mine but I don't think the customer has a stereo system. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

This unit probably has a ceramic pickup. If so, that won't work.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If they are making MP3s from vinyl they must have a computer to copy the MP3s to a MP3 player. It will have an audio input and sound recorder app. So only need a codec to save the recorded input as an MP3. (which they probably already have)

--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header

Not sure it's worth the effort to repair. You can get a USB turntable for $35US plus shipping:

news

I copy my albums to cassette. With my hearing I'd never realize any benefit going to the computer. If I was personally interested in copying my LP's to digital though I don't think I'd buy one of these cheapie turntables in the first place. In my opinion you're just asking to have your records ruined. Rather to preserve my records, I would want to use my nice Thorens turntable with a magnetic cartridge that tracks at less than a gram, with with anti skating, etc along with some kind of an analog to digital converter. There must be some type of "black box" converter that will take either an RIAA phono signal direct from the cartridge, or a line level signal perhaps from the tape out of an amp and convert it to digital. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

Try this.

Disclaimer: Except for my Vendetta head amp, my tuner, controller, and power amps are Parasound. I'm very friendly with the company, and John Curl, who designed my head amp and power amps. I have no hesitation recommending Parasound products.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Or perhaps this if the Parasound is a little O.T.T.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:58:54 -0500, klem kedidelhopper wrote (in article ):

You know, I see that comment all the time and I wonder what the basis for it is. I know about the tracking pressure, how good the needle is, etc. But you are just playing it _once_ for crikey's sake. And, if you are converting them to digital, you probably don't have an more use for the vinyl anyway.

--
Nelson
Reply to

Which is all the more reason for making a really good transfer. Record damage or not, a cheap ceramic pickup is not going to give the sound quality of a decent magnetic pickup. The catch, of course, is that a good 'table, pickup, preamp, ADC, etc, aren't cheap.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

That's expensive. OK it's got a pre-amp so you don't have to use line and an output (like what computer with USB doesn't have sound built in?) but I think it's the copy of Audacity vinyl restoration that costs.

Video + audio capture £4.60.

Anyone know of freeware click remover etc?

--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Can of worms - what every fisherman wants.
Can of worms - what every PC owner gets!
Reply to
Peter Hill

As far as I can tell, that Amazon unit is not a phono pre-amp, it is a line amp, and will not work at all well with a turntable.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Older versions of 'Cool Edit', from before Adobe bought it.

Michael A. Terrell

one

up

It is likely not to be mp3 coming down the USB but wav, raw 16 bit 44.1 kHz sampling, the rest done on the PC.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Really? Has anybody made those in the past 50 years?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

turntable

Both forms are readily available in a wide variety of price and in = quality (which do not track).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Pretty much true, but there is always resale value. Original vinyl in very good condition gets a much better price. And sometimes i have to do a second capture due to a gonk or other problem in the first one. Decent equipment always does the job better than crap.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

About 10 years ago a gradute student did a project (I assume for a master's thesis) where he developed software to "read" the music from a disk by scanning it using a desktop scanner and processing the raw scanned file.

From what I remember researching it a few years ago, it never went any farther.

IMHO it would bear revisiting because of the improved scanners we have today (although there are very few ones that can accomodate a 12 inch LP) and the improved computers. There also has been more research in such things, but not this one application.

Considering that even with good equipment there is a small amount of wear caused by the stylus reading the disk and an optical scanner causes none, one could scan the disk 10 or even 100 times and combine them to improve accuracy.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(