Interfacing hardware with PC through USB connection

Hi

I am working on a project that requires me to interface a particular hardware with my PC through a USB port and stream some audio data through this connection. However i have never worked on USB interfacing before and am looking for some good resources or tutorials to start work in this field. I might also need to use a microcontroller in the interfacing circuitry. I cant buy expensive ready made interfacing tools available in the market and would want build them on my own. It would be great if you guys could suggest something related to such a project that might be of help..

Thanks in advance.!

anex

Do you have any microprocessor in mind ?

If not Microchip has a FREE USB code examples available with their chips.

Go to:

and start reading about the chips they have available with USB device connections and code.

Other processors also have USB code available, this is the one I know about.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Well, anyone who wants to sell USB microcontrollers (pretty much) makes free (FREE! GRATUIT! KOSTENLOS! CLICK THE MONKEY AND WIN $1,000!!!) sample code available for their chips.

I have a feeling there is a ready-rolled solution for the OP off the shelf, for instance a USB audio adapter, but the original posting presumed a certain path of investigation.

Reply to
larwe

has a 32K USB AVR loaded with a CDC driver and a Win VCOM app. All you need is the audio interface via SPI or Serial. Sample CDC driver source code available from Atmel.

Reply to
linnix

Jan Axelsons Book USB Complete is Popular.

Reply to
Neil

I went looking for books on this very topic last week, found the same, and bought it. I feel like I'm missing something, however; it seems to discuss the high-level protocols well enough, but so far I've found it somewhat repetitive and importantly lacking in low-level details. (Low-level details is what makes the high-level picture, after all). And of course, it's microsoft-centric to the point that (using drivers for) MacOS and linux isn't even discussed, which I feel is a bit odd. It's giving me an overview of how the protocol works, but I suspect ill have to dig into other sources (embedded processor documentation, linux kernel stuff) to get at the information I would actually need to implement a workable system.

Not to say the book isn't useful, but it feels, to me, a bit limited.

//Oscar

Reply to
Oscar Almer

How does your application interface look like? Do you have custom driver/apps on the target? If so, you can just overlay your protocols on top of the existing standards. I always start with the CDC driver because it provides a quick and easy debugging environment (just printf). Even if I need another driver class, I would end up with composite device with at least the CDC debug port.

Reply to
linnix

I consider the book largely useless for the OP's purposes. It may help clear up some ignorance on some terms, but it is very far from "complete." I bought it, read it, and haven't ever looked at it since. Not even occasionally, as a reference. Wasted my time and money.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I would have to concur, "Introduction to USB" might be more accurate, and it is a good introduction. I think it is the most technical book on the market though. Fortunately, it's easy enough to find a cheap USB platform and some open source USB code and get stuck in.

I haven't seen any public projects of people doing audio/video over USB, although this is asked about now and then. I would be interested if anyone knows of any.

Reply to
Bob

I think there is a HUGE need here for something like a MindShare book on the subject of USB. Something that delves into all aspects, hardware _and_ software, and from host to slave. The USB specs, thorough in their own way as they may be, aren't entirely helpful to a newcomer. I was able to learn from them but it wasn't until I saw actual code that _some_ things came a little clearer.

I've been learning some as I go, from exactly the method you mention above, but I would very much like to see a thorough book on the topic from someone who has been there, done that, and done so comprehensively and can cover the various cases from personal experience and experimentation.

Big hole needs filling here.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0

I'm not the OP, which may be who you want to ask. Topic drift setting in again.=20 My main complaint about the book is that, as someone else pointed out in a different branch, it covers the basics but not the details. I would not be able to implement a USB device from just reading the book.

//Oscar

Reply to
Oscar Almer