Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

A quick Google showed no shortage of the type we have here.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You're not familiar with these ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

There is a crucial distinction between the kettle, in which the water is boiled, and the teapot, in which the tea is brewed (infused). If you've been putting the tea leaves (or even bags) in the kettle, it's no wonder the Americans prefer coffee.

There are other kinds of kettle, with neither side- handle nor spout, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

A 'kettle' is of course historically simply a word for a container.

It seems to me that Tam is confusing the British kettle meaning electric or cordless kettle with the American 'tea kettle' which is not a term used in the UK.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

ITYM 'Awa 'n' bile yer heed, Jimmy.

--

*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Out of the frying pan, and into the kettle...

Reply to
Spurious Response

Go for a simple dictionary:-

Collins GEM English Dictionary kettle n. container with a spout and handle used for boiling water. ?a fine kettle of fish an awkward situation.

By that kettle has also an older meaning in the UK. There's also a paint kettle - an open pan with wire handle used by decorators.

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nor can you with a frying pan. Have you a fetish for only using one type of cooking utensil?

Continuously boiling water for cooking needs?

If you are boiling water 'continuously while cooking' you know nothing about conserving energy. Or cooking, come to that. Of course you could just be a troll.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hey, you never met my dad. He used to boil eggs in the electric kettle. I think you can place your stuff in there, it's getting it out again that's the problem. But if you've forgotten to let the Beaujolais settle to room temperature, DON'T try putting it in the electric kettle for a quick boost.

All those civil servants sitting around drinking endless cups of tea. But if the cups are endless, how do they get the tea out?

Some people are so easily satisfied.

Reply to
Paul Burke

Thanks for confirming you don't know the difference between energy and power. It's pretty common with cretins.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Kettle? We just cut a 55-gallon drum in half.

John

With their endless red tape, of course!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

For what it's worth, the dictionary defines a cauldron as a large kettle. So to me, a kettle looks something like a cauldron, but not as big. I don't know anybody who owns an electric tea brewer, though I do own 3 electric coffee pots. The UK folks might be ripe for a samovar.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

So, how many PCBs do you think you have introduced into your body over the years with all the various and sundry exposure events we Americans have the opportunity to endure?

Amount needed to cause a malignancy mutation: 2 parts per Billion.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Jasen Betts wrote in news:f6st4t$832$ snipped-for-privacy@jasen.is-a-geek.org:

Some useful information:

1 cup is about 236.6 ml. It take 1 cal to raise 1 ml of water by 1 degree. A watt is about 0.239 cal/second.

Let us assume the cup of water starts at 25 C and you want to raise it to

100 C, that is 75 degrees that we want to heat the water.

So, it will require (236.6 ml x 75 deg x 1 cal/(deg x ml)) = 17744.25 cal to raise a cup of water 75 deg C.

You can deliver those cals at any rate you like[see notes below]. A 1 kw heater will deliver 239 cal per second. A 2 kw heater will deliver at twice that rate.

74.3 seconds to heat a cup with a 1 kw heater. 37.1 seconds to heat a cup with a 2 kw heater. [notes: ignoring losses in wiring, assuming efficient heat transfer from heater to water, assuming no loss of heat from cup+heater combination]

If you want to factor in any of those, please state your assumptions [such as thermal transfer resistance between heater and water, between container and air. Those act much like series resistors as far as the heat is concerned. You can model temperature difference as voltage drop and heat transfer as current if you like. Any good engineering heat transfer text will show you exactly how to do this{but in this case, it won't really matter all that much}].

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

You're fixating over a combined device for heating the water and brewing the tea.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Does the USA still teach calories rather than Joules ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

kiloCalories. Based on (utilizes) BTUs.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Bizarre.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Both can be found in most text books.

Dieters still count calories.

It is a lot easier for ME to remember that it takes one cal to raise one mL of water one deg C than it would be to remember to use 4.187 Joules for the same task.