Re: Residental mains wiring questions (USA)

> >> Huh? Your outlet wires go over the roof? Uh, no you don't take > >> seperate runs for the ground wire, all need to go together. You > >> mention 'passing inspection'. That won't... > > >Existing ungrounded wiring can be grounded by adding a ground wire > >which does not have to be run with the power wires. It is in 250.130, > >which also details where the added ground wire is to be connected at a > >'source'. I believe the ground wires does not necessarily have to > >connect through boxes on the way back to the grounding 'source' , but > >the connections probably have to remain accessible. > > > >> >The ground conductor doesn't have to run along side the > >> >power conductors, does it? > > >> Yes, they do. > > >For existing ungrounded circuits see 250.130. > > For the level and kind of change contemplated it is near certainty that > upgrading to current code can be required. It is an Authority Having > Jurisdiction thing and if they say upgrade you upgrade.

From the description given that means essentially rewiring the building. I doubt many jurisdictions would require that. If they did, the OP may well decide to keep his classy Zinsco panel and leave everything alone instead of improving what he has. Kinda counterproductive.

Does "upgrading to the current code" mean, for example, receptacles have to have the spacing in the current code?

-- bud--

Reply to
bud--

that

In actual practice, it means you negotiate with AHJ based on what the existing construction (all properties, not just the wiring) is and which fire / life safety properties and cost get balanced.

Reply to
JosephKK