How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply board

Hi,

Any advise for How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply board in exchange for the pcb solder 2A fuse. And what type of power wire should be used to connect the glass fuse to the PSU board? I need to solder the wire to the glass fuse in order for further soldering to the PSU board.

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire but PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

Thanks.

Reply to
Seventh Prince

If the 2A rating is correct and the fuse keep blowing every time, then I suspect that the PSU board is faulty. I suggest you chuck the PSU and get a new one.

Reply to
ridz

soldering on fuses is unreliable. Put in a socket of some kind. But sounds like you need to fix the reason it's blowing. Shorted diode is typical cause. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

The Dude: "Adoi! These people talk about soldering iron tak habis- habis!"

-dave chiew (hehehe)

Reply to
dave chiew
1.0 Solder a fuse holder on PCB board instead of soldering fuse directly on the board. 2.0 Then place your 2A fuse into the fuse holder, switch on the power. 3.0 If the fuse blow, then replace another fuse while the power switch is off. Then you switch on the power.

If the fuse is blow again, kindly repeat 3.0.

If you have repeated the step 3.0 for more than 10 times, perhaps you can email me, I will sell you the fuse at dealer price, a packet of 50 units fuse will cost you RM 15.00. Then you can repeat the step 3.0 procedure.

Reply to
Parse System Technology

Well if the correct fuse value blows then its obvious that the PS has problems. If you need that type why not just buy fuses with pigtails...

Reply to
kip

Possibly it is supposed to be SB?

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

I find that filing the ends of the fuse provides a surface that will take solder quickly enough so that you don't damage the fuse. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Bitter memory eh! Dave......

Reply to
Kerry

Yes. Purchase the correct type of pigtail wire-equipped replacement fuse and use it.

Failing that, you could try installing a separate fuseholder or circuit breaker.

If the fuse keeps blowing, then it's most likely a problem with the power supply itself as opposed to a problem with the fuse installation.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

He's not listening....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

One way to find out might just be to solder in a wire jumper.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I believe it wasn't Dave's nose that got pierced with the iron, thought it was the postman

Reply to
adchin

...with a fire extinguisher at the ready...

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Could it be the rectifier is faulty?

I know now that the problem is not with the thin insulated signal wire. Have tried with other wires and the fuse keeps blowing.

Could I use any wires for soldering fuses? Thanks.

Reply to
=?UTF-8?B?5LiD5bCR54i3U2V2ZW50

Am planning to solder fuse holder via wires to the PSU board as the layout of the board for the original 2A PCB solderable fuse is smaller than typical glass fuse.

Reply to
=?UTF-8?B?5LiD5bCR54i3U2V2ZW50

I think you have been told before but you did not listen..

If the fuse blows again the problem is somewhere else in your device. If the fuse blows again the problem is somewhere else in your device.

The wire you use to connect the fuse will NOT make it blow and will be fine for the job if the fuse blows and the wire does not burn. Caution: If this fuse is at 240volts then the wires must be clear of anything else or properly insulated.

If the fuse blows again the problem is somewhere else in your device or you are using the wrong fuse.

The power supply may very likely need a SloBlo fuse as the inrush current could be as high as hundreds of amps for a short time.

You really have not given anyone much of a chance of helping you because you are stuck on the connecting wire problem.

--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G

HELL YES

Reply to
cajuncalibration

My advice is find out why the fuse keeps blowing first then replace with the original one. Soldering iron is used for the nose (somebody's) only hehe.

-old PC User-

Reply to
OLD pc user

Most good radio/TV shops have this fuse (pigtail version) in stock for TV chassis. An ordinary 5x20 mm or 3AG holder can be substitutes IF the VOLTAGE ratings of the holder are greater than the circuit's voltage.

gb

Reply to
gb