General Electric (Toshiba) JP392R Magnetic Induction Cooktop

My Mom has a General Electric (Toshiba) JP392R Magnetic Induction Cooktop. One of the induction "burners" has failed. The replacement part is a WB27X5492 which is a pricy and apparently unavailable module containing two "burners". GE holds the warranty and says all they will offer is a conventional cooktop as a replacement. This is not acceptable to Mom who has had threee of these units over the years and loves them.

Can anyone advise how to obtain replacement parts? Schematics? What is the common failure? Can right and left modules be exchanged if one finds a module for the "wrong side"?

Thanks in advance!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts                        By: Jack Handey
     Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad.  And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

The only hit on Google for that part number says it is an "ICT RH Inverter Module". The hit is at a site

that claims to rebuild NLA appliance control boards, timers, etc. Their price list doesn't include that part number, but you may want to get in touch with them. If you haven't already, you might also try asking parts distributors, such as Marcone, for price and availability on that part number.

Looking up that model number at

yields a $730 "power module" which apparently contains two burners and most of the drive electronics. It also shows a couple of Kenmore cooktops that take the same part; maybe Sears has one in a warehouse somewhere.

Who has pursued it with GE and how far? If only your mother has called, you might try calling. It's not supposed to be this way, but sometimes having a man call yields different results. If nothing else, ask for a top-of-the-line Profile conventional cooktop, then sell it and use the funds to buy an induction cooktop from someone else.

Just be one out of maybe a dozen people in the world at Toshiba and/or GE that would have access to this info. Otherwise, forget it.

I don't know for sure, but it should be relatively easy to test for things like an open induction coil. I think the major parts of each burner module would be the induction coil, one or more beefy transistor(s) to switch the power to the coil, a power supply, and the driver circuitry for the transistor(s). Since you have a working module, it should be possible to compare voltages and waveforms back and forth to narrow it down a little.

I don't know, but I suspect that if it was listed as two different part numbers, the difference is non-trivial.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money from any of the companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I got one of these tops kicking around. I'm not going to use it.

We should compare notes, if parts will fit, great, if not maybe I'll sell you the whole thing.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

JURB Could you tell me what you have on hand? Model numbers, Condition etc? Also where are you located?

Thanks Joe

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts                        By: Jack Handey
     Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad.  And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I have the same unit and need a replacment element, large size also. I have tried to contact GE with the model number to get parts but to no avail. I could also use all new touch pad surfaces Any help ??

Reply to
sesphd