How to solder to solar panels.

As the subject states.

I have several panels that have the connections soldered on how ever, one of them broke off and I had one hell of a time soldering the wire back on. Surface appears to be nickel or some very hard to solder metal.. There is a thin transparent layer of a tan coating that frees very easily when hit with heat. I don't know if that is some sort of catalyst for soldering or a protective spray..

Its possible because I can see it soldered else where. At least it looks like solder..

Any ideas?

Jamie.

Reply to
Jamie

"Jamie" wrote in message news:S%1Dn.42031$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad...

Use Silver solder, don't get the surface too hot, for too long otherwise the conductive print on the cell will come off. And I think the tan layer it what's left when the conductive print comes off ;(

Martin Riddle

Conductive epoxy, with as long a wire overlap as possible.

John

Use a conductive pen.

Reply to
David Eather

I've never tried to solder to that?

Have used it to repair traces how ever.

Guess I'll give that a try next time, Thanks.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jamie

You are using flux and a large enough iron? Make sure you pre-tin all surfaces you want to mate as if you can't pre-tin them then they cannot be mated. If you can pretin them easily but they will not mate then it is most likely a heat issue. If you can't pre-tin a surface then it could be heat, flux, material, etc...

If you have lead-free solder then it has a higher melting temperature and is more difficult to use. It also does not flow as well at lower temperatures.

Reply to
George Jefferson

You see, the problem is that the material used on the back of the panel is made of something that resembles nickel.. Very hard and very shiny..

I think 950F should've been more than enough.. It didn't even touch it. It simply just puddled and rolled off.

I was able to find a spot near by where the original one was attached and its fine for now.

Suggestions were made to use conductive expoxy/conductive pen..

The pen I have and I performed an experiment.. It seems that I can solder to that just fine and it sticks to a piece of chrome I have here with the DCR better than expected.. I only needed a low temperature for that..

I'll be getting some conductive epoxy for future task..

Have a good day.

Reply to
Jamie

Solder to it?

fix/glue what you want to the board/panel and then complete the circuit with the pen - no solder.

Reply to
David Eather

or use one of those kits sold to repair rear window demister tracks / connections in cars.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

simply just puddled

What the base material?

If the panel is acting as a massive thermal sink then you could be heating the solder to 950 while the panel's getting nowhere near that.

You could try pre-heating a corner with a blow torch (as long as this isn't going to destroy the panel).

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

simply just puddled

When are the total retards and totally retarded suggestions in this group ever going to end!?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

When you stop posting?

Reply to
George Jefferson

Youre IQ dropped 20 points the moment your sent that retarded post.

Wait! It was already that low!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The proper attachment media is electrically conductive epoxy (silver filled), just like in the IC chip bonding industry, you retarded twit.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Youre?

Think about that statement. You never were a math whiz.

John

No, he prefers to 'whiz' on electric fences.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell