Glass fuse question

I have a domestic DVD recorder that's suddenly stopped working (no longer under warranty / guarantee).

So I did the normal thing - check / replace the fuse on the plug - which appears fine, as it didn't make any difference.

I vaguely remember reading on a forum dedicated to the DVD recorder about a glass fuse on the inside of the recorder, where the power supply board is.

So I've had a look at the glass fuse (T2AL250V - which I understand is a slow-blow 2A, 250v fuse), there and nothing looks blackened or burnt out. The fuse wire is clearly visible and there's no obvious breaks - but there's a bit in the middle that looks like a small blob (not a coil or anything like that) of solder. Does that sound correct - as if it should be there?

I haven't got a meter easily to hand to be able to check whether it's blow, so thought I'd just check whether it sounds OK at least visually.

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Can't tell.

Try using a torch to check the fuse.

Reply to
CWatters

Some types of slow blow fuse have 'blob' in the middle of the wire, something to do with slowing down the blowing.

The fuse looks like it is OK, can't be certain without testing it.

Reply to
nospam

If it is a 2 A fuse then you can test it with just a 1.5 v battery and a flashlight bulb. dave

Reply to
CheapscateDave