How to get into PIP mode

I have a used 1993 RCA/GE CTC177 tv set that says PIP on the front case that I picked up junking. The set works great once I fixed the tuner solder problem. I only have a universal remote and am wondering how to get into the PIP mode. I know there is a service mode by holding down the menu and the power and volume buttons, but don't want to screw things up. I tried finding the owners manual, but didn't conme up with anything.

Suggestions....., TIA

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

You need a remote control with the PIP function.

It's interesting you brought this up, because I was just about to discuss the fact that many remotes lack critical functions. For example, I've never found a universal remote that accesses the fancy features of my Toshiba CZ-3299K. (Indeed, none of them support the 0 button!) It appears this is because Toshiba failed or refused to supply these codes to Sony, GE, etc.

I will be contacting Toshiba shortly.

Good luck finding the remote you need. You probably won't.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

never

How easy would it be to do something like the following for these too common situations

IR detector reading the shrouded output of the non-universal remote, set up with some of the main operational codes for the kit in question. Gate out the function codes, leaving the ident code and gate in a fully pre-settable pulse sequence instead. Buffer and output the recombination to another IR diode until you hit on a functional auxiliary code and save that on a learing "universal" remote.

N_Cook

never

How easy would it be to do something like the following for these too common situations

IR detector reading the shrouded output of the non-universal remote, set up with some of the main operational codes for the kit in question. Gate out the function codes, leaving the ident code and gate in a fully pre-settable pulse sequence instead. Buffer and output the recombination to another IR diode until you hit on a functional auxiliary code and save that on a learing "universal" remote.

N_Cook

never

How easy would it be to do something like the following for these too common situations

IR detector reading the shrouded output of the non-universal remote, set up with one of the main operational codes for the kit in question. Gate out the function coding, leaving the ident code and gate in a fully variable pre-settable pulse sequence instead. Buffer and output the recombination to another IR diode until you hit on a functional auxiliary code and save that on a learing "universal" remote.

N Cook

The news is not that grim....

There are plenty of companies that distribute compatible remotes for sets that are not covered by the dollar shop universals, say for strange additional button requirements.

is one such company here in the UK. There must be equivalents where the OP is.

There are also companies that make universal remotes like 'One 4 all' that can have buttons custom programmed using phone services or even connection to a PC.

There are infra red learning remotes that, if you can get access to another handset, can be programmed similary with the matching codeset of the original. Finally, a PDA or mobile phone with infra red can be programmed likewise to act as a remote.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

ss

is

c.

mon

up

But, I think behind the fancy terminology, you mean to say I should copy the signal from a "factory" remote to get into the PIP mode. I would do that if I had the factory remote, but I don't have it so your scheme is not good for me. Any other ideas?

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Try MCM Electronics. They claim ...

"MCM is an authorized distributor for Thomson Consumer Electronics. We have access to virtually every remote they offer. Please contact your salesperson"

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Thanks!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks!!

I don't think those who replied got the point I was making. You'll have no trouble finding a remote labelled as being right for your TV. The "catch" is that the advanced functions MIGHT NOT BE SUPPORTED.

I'll contact MCM today. I bet they won't have the remotest idea what I'm talking about.

I just purchased a GE remote that includes a locator device (principally for that). * I ran through every one of the dozen codes supplied for Toshiba TVs -- and not one of them had either the 0, or anything beyond displaying the PIP. (You can't select what the PIP displays.)

  • You won't believe this, but Home Despot had the lowest price, including anyone on the Web.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Some closer that others. The manufacturer's original right on!!! This isn't the toughest chore on the planet. Do you run a TV shop?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

no

" is

I contacted MCM and they said tht a remote with the PIP functions is not available (thru them at least).

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

no

"catch" is

I contacted MCM and they said tht a remote with the PIP functions is not available (thru them at least).

Thanks. I was rather busy today.

Is that true for any and all brands? Or just some?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Have you tried

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming' sheep.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Deke