How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless

Hello.

I'm new to this newsgroup, so I hope this is the right place to pose this question.

The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless Webcam runs embedded Linux, and the application software is Java based. But it's buggy, and I'd like to see if I can improve it. Without shell access, I'm not sure how to go about modifying the Java code. Is it likely there is a shell available?

Reply to
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:22:29 +0100, Robert Orso wrote in ::

Not even with 2MB of firmware?

Have you any idea of what type of CPU the IK-WB11A uses? Which Linux release? Perhaps a shell binary could be compiled for it, and uploaded to firmware.

What sort of wishes?

Yes. I discovered that. Thanks.

One of the main problems I'm having is FTP unable to send file errors. I'm not sure if that's a result of a weak signal on the wireless link, timeout parameters too short, or what.

The other problem I'm having is easy to see on the Java Console; after a minute or so, it stops sending '__live.jpg' files to update the display. I'm wondering if there's a way to send it some command to restart that.

I'm thinking the binary looking stuff is compiled kernel and other binary files.

It could be troublesome finding such a disassembler.

I've been snooping in the firmware, and located a few interesting things. Below is a table of file names. Of course, all the http code is there in ASCII, so it may be easy to modify much of the firmware if one has the courage to attempt to flash the ROM with the modified firmware. :-) I wonder if the firmware update file contains a checksum?

Have you any idea what the 'recovery' function does? It's not documented in the Advanced User Guide nor the SDK* documentation. It uses the same administrator ID/PW, and provides the opportunity to name a local file ostensibly to contain the recovery data (whatever that might be).

At the end of the list below are some interesting strings that provide a clue into possibly useful things. In particular:

TxVGC Wireless Transmit Variable Gain Control? Low_Gain Wireless Gain Control? High_Gain Wireless Gain Control? Current(3sec) May be useful to overcome timeouts Receive(1sec) May be useful to overcome timeouts

Please use RS-232C !!! This is particularly interesting. I wonder which jack is for serial communications?

Perhaps one could get a shell prompt over RS-232C?

Have you been successful in getting the 'getstream.cgi' function syntax correct? I made a quick attempt, but it failed.

That's all for now. More as time permits.

================== version.311 ==================

HTTP File Names

index.htm recovery_login.htm recovery.htm fine.htm recovery_fail.htm spoolout.htm adm_camera.htm adm_done.htm adm_fwverup.htm adm_login.htm adm_password.htm adm_time.htm admin.htm alarm.htm alarmstsapi.htm alarmtxt.htm almmoarea.htm bad_fwverup.htm cmr_alarm.htm cmr_fundamentals.htm cmr_pantilt.htm cmr_privacymask.htm cmr_record.htm cmr_sdformat.htm cmr_sdstscheck.htm controller.htm controller_head.htm controller_list.htm controller_pati.htm controller_plbk.htm dummy.htm fine_fwverup.htm fine_mail.htm fine_reset.htm fine_time.htm getallpresetnameapi.htm getcurrentptpointapi.htm getcurrenttimeapi.htm getloglistapi.htm getnumofalarmlistapi.htm getnumofnormallistapi.htm getparamlistapi.htm getplaytimeapi.htm getsettedpresetapi.htm log_refer.htm log_trans.htm menu_header.htm menu_item.htm menu_panel.htm mlt_layout.htm multi_frame.htm multi_login.htm multi_view.htm multi_view_dummy.htm notauth.htm notauth_V.htm nwk_arptbl.htm nwk_connect.htm nwk_ddns.htm nwk_ftp.htm nwk_ftpalarm.htm nwk_ftpalarm_chk.htm nwk_ftpperiodical.htm nwk_ftpalarm_chk.htm nwk_mail.htm nwk_routingtbl.htm oneshot.htm

8ownrelease.htm

-playtime.htm preset.htm privacyposition.htm record.htm reset.htm rst_time.htm sdmformatchkapi.htm sdmstsapi.htm sdtxt.htm sec_access.htm sec_filter.htm sec_user.htm sessionrefresh.htm set_motionsensor.htm set_privacymask.htm settingpane.htm single_view.htm time.htm tst_mail.htm tst_time.htm tst_time2.htm tst_time3.htm user_controller.htm user_multi_frame.htm user_multi_view.htm user_multi_view_dummy.htm user_oneshot.htm user_single_view.htm user_view_1_header.htm user_view_M.htm user_view_S.htm user_view_footer_S.htm user_view_header_M.htm user_view_header_S.htm usernotauth.htm view_1_header.htm view_M.htm view_S.htm view_footer_S.htm view_header_M.htm view_header_S.htm

-------------------------------

HTML Titles (in firmware order)

Contents recovery Administrator login for contents recovery Contents recovery fail spoolout TOSHIBA Network Camera - Adding and Removing Cameras TOSHIBA Network Camera - Administrator Setting Done TOSHIBA Network Camera - Firmware Version Up TOSHIBA Network Camera - Administrator Login TOSHIBA Netowrk Camera - Test Mail TOSHIBA Network Camera - Changing the Password TOSHIBA Network Camera - Setting the Time TOSHIBA Network Camera - Settings for Administrator TOSHIBA Controller TOSHIBA Network Camera - Time Setting Test TOSHIBA Network Camera - Time Setting Test 2 TOSHIBA Network Camera - Time Setting Test 3 TOSHIBA Network Camera - Firmware Update Failure TOSHIBA Network Camera - Alarm Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera - Fundamental Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera - PAN/TILT Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera - Privacy Mask Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera - Recording Function TOSHIBA Network Camera - SD Memory Card Formatting TOSHIBA Network Camera Controller [x4] TOSHIBA Network Camera - User Controller TOSHIBA Network Camera - Setting Finish TOSHIBA Network Camera - FW PC Upload fine ['fine'=OK] TOSHIBA Network Camera - Mail Setting Finish TOSHIBA Network Camera - Network Setting Finish TOSHIBA Network Camera - Time Setting Finish TOSHIBA Network Camera - User Login TOSHIBA Network Camera User Multi-Screen Display [x3] TOSHIBA User 1 Shot TOSHIBA Network Camera User Single-Screen Display TOSHIBA Network Camera - Browse and Delete Logs TOSHIBA Network Camera - Log Forwarding Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera - Menu Header menu TOSHIBA Network Camera Menu Panel TOSHIBA Network Camera User Viewer Header TOSHIBA Network Camaera - Multi-Screen Display Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera Multi-Frame TOSHIBA Network Camera - User Multi-Screen Display Viewer TOSHIBA Network Camera - Multi-Screen Viewer TOSHIBA Network Camera - multi view dummy TOSHIBA Network Camera User Viewer for Single-Screen Display TOSHIBA Network Camera - ARP Table Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera - Network Connection Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera - DDNS Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera - FTP Recording Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera User Viewer Footer TOSHIBA Network Camera - FTP Recording Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera - Setting Finish Checker [x2] TOSHIBA Network Camera - FTP Recording Settings TOSHIBA Network Camera - Mail Setting TOSHIBA Network Camera User Viewer Footer for Mulit-Screen Display TOSHIBA Network Camera - Routing Table Settings TOSHIBA Network Camara - Wireless LAN Settings TOSHIBA 1 Shot TOSHIBA Network Camera User Viewer Header for Single-Screen Display TOSHIBA Network Camera Preset Controller TOSHIBA Network Camera Record List Controller TOSHIBA Network Camera - Reset TOSHIBA Network Camera - Setting the Time TOSHIBA Network Camera - Access Restriction TOSHIBA Network Camera - Filtering by MAC Address TOSHIBA Network Camera - Viewer Header TOSHIBA Network Camera - User Restriction TOSHIBA Network Camera - Set Detection Range for Motion Sensor TOSHIBA Network Camera - Set Masking Range for Privacy Mask TOSHIBA Network Camera - Settings Pane TOSHIBA Network Camera - Single-Screen Viewer TOSHIBA Network Camera - Multi-Screen Display TOSHIBA Network Camera - Single-Screen Display TOSHIBA Network Camera - Viewer Footer TOSHIBA Network Camera - Viewer Header [x2]

---------------------------------------

CGI File Names

recovery.cgi EndOf-getstream.cgi getstream.cgi adm_camera.cgi adm_fwverup.cgi adm_time.cgi tst_time.cgi control.cgi cmr.cgi log_refer.cgi log_trans.cgi mlt_layout.cgi nwk_arptbl.cgi nwk_connect.cgi nwk_ddns.cgi nwk_ftp.cgi nwk_ftpalarm.cgi nwk_ftpperiodical.cgi nwk_mail.cgi nwk_routingtbl.cgi nwk_wireless.cgi adm_time.cgi sec_access.cgi sec_filter.cgi sec_user.cgi

----------------- JAVA

TimeApplet.class AlarmApplet$1.class ImageCanvas.class Mask.class MaskApplet.class MovieApplet$1.class MovieApplet$2.class MovieApplet$3.class MovieApplet.class SetProperty.class ZoomFactor.class SetProperty.class SDApplet.class SoundApplet$1.class SoundApplet.class Test.class TimeApplet.class AlarmApplet.class SetProperty.class

...................... authinfo.js utility.js authinfo_single_V.js controller.js multiauth.js switchPanels.js userauth.js wbmisc.js

---------------------------

Interesting strings

TxVGC Low_Gain High_Gain wlanTestTX ErroRate wlanTestRX calcCurData Accumulative Current(3sec) Receive(1sec) Please use RS-232C !!! ADM8628 TOSHIBA Production board !!! Please RESET after unplug LAN cable !!! ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Dighera

Larry Dighera schrieb:

"Bandwidth saving" ones:

1) Don't overwrite the image that is currently transmitted (double buffering)

2) Allow for digital zoom IN the camera, i.e. When a lower image size is selected, allow for zoom in, but transmit only the smaller frame of the higher resolution.

Example: Select size 320x240, you get a small image of the full picture Zoom in 2x, you get the 320x240 center pixels of the 640x480 image Zoom in another 2x, you get the 320x240 center pixels of the 1280x1024 image

3) allow for digital pan when in lower resolution, similar to the zoom.

4) allow for "user selectable" long-exposure if hardware prmits this, like 15 seconds or more of continuous exposure of a single frame. This would please my astronomy friends.

Reply to
Robert Orso

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:05:20 +0100, Robert Orso wrote in ::

Is that what's going on? You mean that single '--live.jpg' frames are not sent sequentially, but periodically with the newer one being sent concurrently with the previous ones? That might explain why the camera's ftp uploads are so flaky. I suppose it may have been a feeble attempt to keep the frame-rate up despite limited bandwidth.

I understand what you mean, but I'm not sure how you'd achieve it. It would seem that the camera would have to be generating images in the higher resolution, and transmitting cropped images.

Now that would be useful. As it is, using the Zoom function on any image size less than the 1280x1024 image doesn't really provide more information, just larger pixels.

I'm reasonably sure that is currently possible. Here's a page from the IK-WB_SDK_v1.10us.pdf programming guide:

  1. Setting Shutter Speed Interface http:///setcamapi.cgi?cam_8=&ok=dummy.htm Use Conditions This function is available for administrators only. For IK-WB11 only. Parameter(s) -- Input IP address, server name or domain name of IK-WB on which you want to set the shutter speed. -- setcamapi.cgi Input the cgi for setting the shutter speed. The command in question is ?setcamapi.cgi? and it calls for the argument ?cam_8?, the control ID. -- cam_8= available for setting are as follows. For IK-WB11 only - AES : 1 - 1/120(1/100) : 2 - 1/60(1/50) : 3 - 1/30(1/25) : 4 - 1/20(1/16.7) : 5 - 1/15(1/12.5) : 6 - 1/8 : 7 - 1/4 : 8 - 1/2 : 9 - 1 : 10 - 2 : 11 - 4 : 12 -- ok=dummy.htm Designate the HTML where the cgi processes the result of the shutter speed setting. Designate ?ok=dummy.htm? invariably. Example http://10.1.0.10/setcamapi.cgi?cam_8=7&ok=dummy.htm ? sets the shutter speed to 1/8 second Output ?dummy.htm? will be returned to the caller. Note This API is allowed to administrators only.

Apparently 4 seconds is the maximum, but perhaps that can be changed by modifying the firmware. Or perhaps using a 'shutter speed' parameter in excess of 12 may reduce shutter speed below 4 seconds.

Incidently, I found the following file names in the firmware since the earlier list:

AlarmApplet.jar MaskApplet.jar MovieApplet.jar SDApplet.jar SoundApplet.jar TimeApplet.jar

Adding these file names should make the list complete.

Reply to
Larry Dighera

Try to modify a firmware to enable telnet access. Usually embedded Linux are using busybox which usually includes a telnetd.

If you don't have access to the Firmware it is likely that we have yet another GPL Violation.

Sven

--
"In the land of the brave and the free, we defend our freedom
with the GNU GPL" (Richard M. Stallman on www.gnu.org)

/me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web
Reply to
Sven Geggus

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:45:20 +0000 (UTC), Sven Geggus wrote in ::

The latest firmware version is here:

I searched for 'Linux and 'licence', but those strings are not contained in that firmware code.

According to the article here:

the Toshiba IK-WB02A runs "2.4-series Linux kernel (probably uClinux)" on a "ARM7 core clocked at 80MHz." So I'm thinking the IK-WB11A probably is similar.

I also tried telneting into the first 4,000 ports, but never got a login prompt.

The firmware is at the link above, but I didn't find any ASCII licence information.

Thank you for your assistance.

Reply to
Larry Dighera

Reading the trademark information in the Toshiba IK-WB11A Advanced User Guide

provided this clue:

Ubiquitous TCP/IP-OS Copyright (c) 2002 Ubiquitous Corp.

There's some info here:

Perhaps this isn't Linux after all:

--------

ubiquitous TCP/IP-OS

Ultra-compact TCP/IP stack eases implementing communication functions in microprocessors Ubiquitous Corporation

Yoshihisa Nakayama Director and COO Ubiquitous Corporation Connecting home appliances such as TVs and DVDs to a home network typically isn?t easy, and networking hasn?t been a consideration for such devices in the past. Yet the ability to incorporate Ethernet connectivity in a microprocessor is no longer unusual. As the integration of home networking communication functions into microcomputers grows more common, and as those microcomputers are used in home appliances, networking capabilities will become increasingly popular features of new appliances. One obstacle to this trend is that TCP/IP stacks typically require a large memory size, about 80 to 200KBytes. Also, the 8-bit and 16-bit microprocessors used in most home appliances have limited processing performance. The solution is the ultra-compact TCP/IP-OS and UPnP middleware products developed by Ubiquitous Corporation.

The middleware?s TCP/IP protocol stack requires only 5 to 7.5KBytes, yet it supports all the functions required for standard TCP/IP communications and interconnectivity. Mr. Nakayama of Ubiquitous Corporation calls the middleware the "world's smallest, lightest, and fastest OS." In terms of speed, he is confident that the middleware is twice as fast as its predecessors.

The TCP/IP-OS and UPnP products align with the trend toward adopting industry standards. The operating systems comply with the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) V1.0 guidelines for interoperation between home networking devices, which were established by the Digital Home Working Group (DHWG).

Renesas was quick to recognize the advantages of this technology and established a comprehensive business relationship with Ubiquitous Corporation. As a result, versions of the TCP/IP-OS, TCP/IP-OS Super Tiny, UPnP, and UPnP/AV ultra-compact operating systems are available for Renesas microprocessors. Moreover, we have incorporated the TCP/IP-OS and UPnP/AV into our SH3-DSP and SH-4 series devices for AV equipment.

According to Mr. Nakayama, "A key point about the Renesas SuperH family is that it is aimed at advanced, but compact, embedded equipment. That concept exactly matches our own." The simple architecture and command set of Renesas microprocessors eased porting the middleware to the devices and the job was completed quickly.

The relationship between Renesas and Ubiquitous promotes the adoption of communication functions in low-cost chipsets. This should accelerate the growth of home networks that interconnect many different devices. ============================================

October of 2005 11th Corporation ?????

The ????? corporation, it offers communication protocol stack to ???? technology

- Functional strengthening edition TCP/IP, UPnP AV, SSL, IPv6 and USB Host -

Corporation ????? (head office: The Tokyo Shinjuku Ku, Representative President Nakayama it is good Hisashi. Below, " ?????"), corporation ???? technology (head office: The Tokyo Chiyoda Ku, president & CEO Itoh. Below, " the ????"), the inclusion cooperation which agrees in March of 2004 is expanded, communication protocol stack is offered anew.

Small well genius like ???? business strategic generalization section executive, " ????? make TCP/IP communication protocol stack, it is small, it is light, because use of peripheral memory is little it is fast to in addition, as value added of the semiconductor product is raised, network correspondence of the customer it becomes possible to actualize at high dimension. In the future, it starts loading from the SuperH family, develops to the consecutive other CPU family. Together it prepares the SDK which corresponds to the enviroment for software development of the ???? and keeps offering " that.

  • The communication protocol stack which is offered anew · TCP/IP-OS functional strengthening edition It is the TCP/IP protocol stack which the ????? developed on the basis of the RFC. · UPnP AV At the protocol stack which the ????? developed on the basis of the UPnP AV v1, development of the DLNA corresponding network AV equipment is made easy. · SSL It is protocol of communication encoding and the certification which the ????? developed on the basis of the SSL v3. · IPv6: It is the TCP/IP protocol stack which the ????? developed on the basis of the RFC. Adjusting to the IPv4, we offer at dual stack. · USB Host At the protocol stack which the ????? developed on the basis of USB standard, connection and support of various USB equipment are made possible.

  • Concerning the corporation ????? The ????? is the enterprise which develops the communication protocol stacked and related software product in for the various equipment and sells. The communication protocol stack which the ????? is developed is optimized by the technology which excels, other things is surpassed " the small lightly has fast " feature. The ????? contributes to the actualization of foam/home network and sensor network via the offer of the communication protocol stack of the smallest most light weight.

  • Company name and the trade name which are stated in Bunchu are trade mark or registered trade mark of each company.
  • The information which is published to this news release is information as of of announcement day. When it is modified after the announcement day, because it is, please acknowledge beforehand

Ahead the ???? technology inquiring regarding this press releaseCorporation ???? technology ? 100-0004 the Tokyo Chiyoda Ku major town two Chome 6th 2 (Japanese buildings) Product technical headquarters connectivity technical development center TEL: 03-5201-5006 FAX: 03-3270-7113 Ahead the inquiring regarding the ????? productCorporation ????? ? 160-0022 the Tokyo Shinjuku Ku Shinjuku 3-1-13 Keio Shinjuku forked road building 6f TEL: 03-5312-2810 FAX: 03-5312-2812 Email: snipped-for-privacy@ubiquitous.co.jp URL: Http: //

October of 2005 6th Corporation ?????

Communication protocol stack and ?????? DS TM of ????? corporation You adopt

- Worldwide smallest most lightweight TCP/IP and SSL protocol stack of barely 50KB -

Corporation ????? (head office: The Tokyo Shinjuku Ku, Representative President Nakayama it is good Hisashi. Below, " the ?????"), we announce that the communication protocol stack which ? ? ? cTass developed is adopted to the communication library for the game machine ? ?????? DS ? of the Nintendo Co. corporation.

This communication protocol stack is developed the on the basis of the Ubiquitous TCP/IP and the Ubiquitous SSL, is offered to Nintendo Co. for the ? ?????? DS ? as the library which is included in the game software development kit.

  • Concerning the corporation ????? The ????? is the enterprise which develops the communication protocol stacked and related software product in for the various equipment and sells. The communication protocol stack which the ????? is developed is optimized by the technology which excels, other things is surpassed " the small lightly has fast " feature. The ????? contributes to the actualization of foam/home network and sensor network via the offer of the communication protocol stack of the smallest most light weight.

  • Concerning the Ubiquitous TCP/IP and the Ubiquitous SSL The Ubiquitous TCP/IP is the TCP/IP protocol stack which the ????? developed on the basis of the RFC. In addition, the Ubiquitous SSL is protocol of communication encoding and the certification which conform to the SSL v3. As for these, both together size when mounting approximately 50KB and with very small ones, operates lightly even with the resource where the game machine is limited.

.