Go Video = RCA?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Or am I just drinking the Koolaid?

:(

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

A little information on RCA:

Charles Schuler

I only asked because I was mindlessly sniffing through products by mfg on e-bay and saw some VCRs up for auction in which Go-Video and RCA appeared in the title.

Haven't found any connection via your link or otherwise.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

It can be confusing these days to figure out who is manufacturing what. RCA is just a trademark, as GE bought that venerable (Saintly) corporation and dissected it and sold off most of the pieces. RCA was a trusted name and GE knew that they were buying an influential marketing image.

So, it is 2006 and many consumers still believe in Saints. From my viewpoint, it is now mostly a crapshoot and tend to not place much faith in any of the "Saintly" brand names. Quick example: I used to think that Sony stuff was worth the extra cost and now believe otherwise (after personal experiences with Sony products).

Reply to
Charles Schuler

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:36:38 -0700, ChrisCoaster Has Frothed:

RCA has been Thompson Consumer for a good while. Don't know what Go Vid would have to do with them.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

GE dumped their consumer electronics to Thompson (french) back in the late

80's, and the RCA GE names haven't meant a thing ever since........ GE in turn bought Thompson's medical x-ray division to get more overseas business.
Reply to
CRaSH

IME RCA is a rent-a-brand like Singer.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Today's Thomson-built RCA TVs aren't all bad, especially since Thomson seems to have licked that infamous on-board tuner problem in its late-'80s-early-'90s TVs (the tuner is now mounted separately from the main chassis). I have an RCA CTC185 I bought new seven years ago that still works almost as well as when it was new; no major problems, except the RF antenna connector port snapped off the tuner PC board a couple of months after I purchased the set.

You are correct as to to it being something of a crapshoot these days as far as quality of new electronics, appliances or anything else goes, the presence of a well-known former American brand name on the unit notwithstanding. I was lucky to have gotten a good TV when I bought my CTC185 RCA, and I have a Zenith Sentry 2 19" set that was new

11 years ago which also still works amazingly well; however, many others have not had nearly as good luck with theirs, as I've read in the online discussion forums on this brand (and others). I do know that I will steer clear of "Magnavox" branded TVs from now on, as I've read some terrible things about these sets recently. Magnavox, like RCA, GE, Zenith, etc. used to be a very good make of TV, audio, stereo, etc. back when the company was based in Fort Wayne, Indiana. (Zenith was good too when it was in Chicago, RCA's TVs were great when the company was in New Jersey, etc.)

Today, however, Magnavox TVs, like Sylvania (to name but one other) are made by Funai and have terrible reliability statistics. I read some time ago, for example, that today's offshore-manufactured Magnavox televisions are so light they will fall off any table or stand they are put on if any amount of pressure is put on the cabinet--even to press the front-panel volume, channel up/down, menu, power, etc. buttons. If you have one of these sets, it is probably best to operate it mainly from the remote and leave the front buttons alone unless you put a hand on top of the TV to steady it while pressing the panel controls. I can only guess how many "Magnavox" branded televisions have wound up in repair stations (under warranty) in recent times with smashed CRTs or other problems, caused when the set promptly fell off the table or stand it was on at the time--and all the set owner was trying to do was change channels or turn the darn thing on or off with the panel buttons. As the expression goes, "this ain't your father's Magnavox"!

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV (email addy not shown to thwart spammers) Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:06:38 +0000, Homer J Simpson Has Frothed:

I stated that backwards didn't I ?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

I dont know for sure . Its hard to say these days . I have seen more go video dvd players less than a year old with bad lasers than any other .

I worked on a AKAI ( samsung ) i guess 27`` tv vcr dvd combo and used a parts set with the same exact case only tagged RCA to fix it . It even had the same insides and front buttons .

Reply to
Ken G.

Ebay sellers are famous for being misleading in their ads. Some are from ignorance, while others are crooks. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida