Best Buy Insignia 20" TV ( IS-TV040919 ) service mode found

If anyone else out there with this TV was wondering how to get into the service mode on this TV, I found it.

First, open up the remote control. I found this easily done by prying the bottom half of the case outwards at the rear end and then sticking another screwdriver in to the gap to hold it open. Then work your way around the case prying outwards on the bottom half, this should release the latches without any trouble at all.

With the case open you'll notice that there many buttons that are normally not accessible. Some of these don't have an actual "switch" under them, but others do. The two that are of interest here are the one directly under the "lock" button (that runs the parental controls) and to the left of that one, x'ed below:

[ ] [lock] [xxxx] [xxxx]

With the TV on, press the left button and then the right (no holding required.) The word TEST should appear in the upper right corner of the screen. The number keys select different menus, #1 probably being the most useful. It has the geometry controls, I was able to shrink the vertical size down to 16x9 and still have a little extra adjustment left over. #3 has some video adjustments like red, green, and blue drive along with some others I'm not sure of. If you go messing around with the settings it would be a good idea to write down the settings before you go changing them so you can set everything back to normal afterwards if something goes wrong. Press the number of the menu you're currently on and it'll go away but stay in test mode. Press the right "hidden" button to exit test mode. Afterwards I just punched some holes through the plastic overlay on the top of the remote so that I can easily switch from 4x3 to 16x9 operation.

Reply to
Rotareneg

Oh, forgot to mention how to change the settings, doh! :)

Channel + and - keys change the highlighted setting, volume + and - change the value.

Reply to
Rotareneg