Help with no picture on RCA F32649 / CTC203

Hi,

Trying to fix my inlaws TV. At this point it's scrap to them, so I've broken out my rarely used Hakko and reflowed everything I could on the neck board and main board that I could get to. I looked for exploded capacitors (all I've ever messed with is a few arcade monitors), but didn't find any.

Searching F32649 on the net pretty much only reveals people saying it could be the Flyback Transformer. Looks like something tough to replace.

I've got a high voltage probe, and it seems like the TV is getting up to at least 10kV. Maybe 20kV.

But, the real symptoms are as follows.

  1. High Dog Hair and Cigarette Household.
  2. Just put an area heater in front of it for a few days before it went bad.
  3. Started by screen going from full screen to just a horizontal line. Would snap back to full screen.
  4. Apparently did that and some weird on/off behavior for a day or two.
  5. Now, just does the old "click" in a 4 or 5 time on/off pattern at the powersupply. No picture at all.

Any ideas? If it is possibly the flyback, where can I buy one from? How much would it cost?

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Most of the time, worn capacitors in these TV sets do not have any visual difference. We use an ESR meter and a cap meter to check them. Most of the faults in these TV sets are from capacitors going high in their ESR rating with age.

As for the Flyback, RCA has world wide parts distributors. There may still be some generic replacements sold by the independent electronic parts suppliers. Do a Google search for RCA flyback and see if you can find a vendor.

As for myself, I would not be spending any time on such a TV set. I would be putting my efforts in getting new set.

--

JANA _____

[...]

JANA

One of the most common horizontal drive faults of the CTC-203 chassis was very poor solder connections at the inductor that connects physically to the base of the Horizontal Output Transistor. In production, a small amount of glue was flowed over the coil to hold it in place, during the soldering process a bit of the material contaminated the connection to the traces on the bottom of the pcb. Removal of the coil, through cleaning of the coil leads and the pads, then reflowing the solder to those connections normally resolved the problem. The power supply would run and produce proper B+ but there would be no HV and therefore no derived supplies. I've seen LOPT replacements, by good techs that were not needed, due to the fact they did not check the condition of mentioned connections leading from the Horizontal drive transformer to the base of the output transistor.

Reply to
AJ