Dead Ctc203

I Have An Rca Ctc203 Tv That Is Dead. According To The Owner The Tv Would Intermitently Shut Off, And If You Hit The Side It Would Come Back On. Then It Just Stopped Working All Together. When You Plug It In The Smps Chirps And When You Turn It On It Tries To Turn On Three Times But Never Does. From What I Have Found On The Net I Believe It Is The Flyback. Could Anyone Tell Me If I Am Right And How I Can Test It. What Normal Readings Would Be And What I Can Expect. Unfortunatly I Don't Have An O-scope. Infact I Really Only Have A Multimeter.

Thanks Steve

--
russellsh
Reply to

Do a Google yea shall find much on the 203.

Reply to
kip

Any professional MUST have a scope and know how to use it. Scoping the collector waveform during the start attempt will tell you immediately if the fly is bad (or a load on the secondary). A DVM isn't going to much help on this.

John

Reply to
John-Del

I do a lot of CTC 203, & if it's blown up, the flyback is bad only some of the time, but for the cheap price, might as well change it. If it was working when you tapped it, it MAY have been only a loose conection. Make sure to repair @ the horizontal drive coil...very common. Di the set go tottally dead, or did the sound stay, & the screen just go black? If so...do the horizontal drive repair, & all will be fine. Dani.

Reply to
Dani

Dani

i am not sure if the sound was there with no picture or not. the owner is my brother-in-law and according to him it worked intermitently for a while. he said that the whole tv would shut off but he wasn't sure if the sound went too. this is where it gets screwed up. he took the tv apart and was messing with it and in the proccess blew the fuse. when i got it i started with changing the fuse and as i expected it didn't fix the problem. also there were 2 leads stick up with nothing attached to them. i have since determined that they are the legs of a thermister that is no longer present. i believe my brother-in-law caused this. also apon further inspection i found a burned spot on the bottom of the bread in the same area. it looked as if something shorted across 3 of the pads on the bottom. the pads have curled up a little but the connectivity of both the pads and the components attached to them seem to be fine. however i have removed them to check if the shorting of the pads had an affect on the components. all of this and yet i don't believe this is what has caused the tv to intermitently shut off. i believe as you have stated that it was a loose connection however i can find no evidence of such. also as i stated before i do not own an o-scope as of yet, and i do not know how to check the flyback (if at all possible) with a multimeter. any advice would be great. thanks for the help.

steve

Dani Wrote:

--
russellsh
Reply to

The loose thermistor (very common in RCA) MAY have caused the fuse to blow, but the bad connection at the horizontal drive coil, this causes no pix, but sound stays, & it WILL kill the set, fuse ok, horiz output shorted, & sometimes blows up the PWM power supply. Since he fooled with it, it MAY be a very hard job to get it working reliably now! Send me a pix of the top & bottom of the board, if you can. I'll try to help you out. Dani.

Reply to
Dani

DANI

THANKS. WILL DO