Gateway (blech) plasma "displays offscreen"

Hi,

I rescued a Gateway GTW-P46M103 plasma TV. Apparently, these were "dogs" (?). But, for free, the price was just too hard to resist! ;-)

[I haven't powered it up in a while so I am recalling symptoms from memory -- essentially, looking for ideas to test NEXT time I drag it out]

The unit powers up. Before the DTV switch (yes, that is how long it has been neglected, here), it would receive analog broadcasts but display them "offscreen". I.e., imagine dragging the image (the entire rectangle that surrounds it) up and to the left so that only the right side and bottom remain visible on the physical screen. (!)

Note that the annunciators/indicators that the TV would normally display "on screen" (volume level, channel, etc.) still appear where they were supposed to -- often in those parts of the screen that the video image seems to be avoiding! (i.e., the panel appears operative "everywhere"; its just trying to get the video to fit onto the screen where it is

*intended* that is the problem).

At the very least, I figured I could try alternate inputs (PC, VCR, etc.) to see if the problem is related to a particular portion of the circuit (e.g., if the tuner is putting out bad sync information).

Of course, any sort of documentation is unobtainable. It also appears that replacement parts may be an issue with these. From the posts I have seen related to Gateways products, it almost appears that there was a *feud* between the maker of the TV and Gateway just prior to Gateway's demise and the manufacturer almost seems delighted NOT to support the product (?)

Any pointers on where to start? Otherwise I can probably just part it out on eBay (since parts seem to be so difficult to obtain, I imagine there must be a market for them!)

Thanks!

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Two possibilities. Check to see where the "offset" is set (the controls that let you position the image on the screen). Also check to see where the "display" setting is -- automatic, dot-by-dot, full screen, 4:3, etc.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Is this a *service* setting? Or, a *customer* setting? (IIRC, I don't recall seeing anything that looked more sophisticated than typical TV controls)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

These are customer settings. There might also be service settings that apply.

My suggestion is a guess -- there might not be anything thing wrong with the set other than misadjustment.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

These are commonly called 'aspect' settings. Positioning is usually a sub menu called 'screen'. If the OP can see that menu on screen to get to it this may be all that is wrong. My guess it's more than that, usually the owner exhausts every possibility before tossing a 46" set to the curb.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Agreed, but the user might not be aware of them.

It's probably "something else", but it can't hurt to check...

Reply to
William Sommerwerck