Single pixel-wide vertical line in Gateway GTW-P42M102 42" Plasma TV. Repairable?

I have a single, pixel-wide vertical line which has appeared suddenly in my out of warranty Gateway GTW-P42M102 42" Plasma TV. Before I open this baby up, can anyone tell me whether the horizontal and vertical drivers are replaceable, or, whether they are like an LCD - which is unrepairable because they are built into the flex circuit which is attached to the panel?

Thanks all!

Reply to
JW

I have got the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 4150 notebook and cant figure out what to do with it.

Reply to
news.rcn.com

Unrepairable....For reasonable Money

Reply to
kip
[top posting and changed subject line corrected]

With an LCD, as I said, you are out of luck. The chips that drive the LCD are permanently bonded to the panel. Perhaps the manufacturer of the panel could replace it, but the cost would be far more than the panel was worth.

That said, does anyone know the answer to my original question? I'd rather not risk opening the TV up and risk further damage, if there's no chance of repair.

Thanks again.

Reply to
JW

The drivers are bonded to the plasma panel.

JW wrote:

Reply to
M Berger

That's what I feared. Thanks.

Reply to
JW

Your chances of a repair are close to zero. So open it up and "wiggle" things (flat cables, the many chips bonded to the back of the display, etc). It will probably get worse, making it less traumatic to replace the whole thing. But a herd of pigs COULD fly over...and the flaw might go away. Its worth a try. Just don't drop the thing on your foot.

Reply to
webpa