Garmin Nuvi 42 Does not power up with battery

I have a Garmin Nuvi 42 GPS device which does not power up from the battery.

If I remove the battery and apply power via the USB socket, the unit powers up. As soon as I connect the battery, the unit switches off.

The battery appears to be quite new and a good voltage.

--
M.Joshi
Reply to

Is there a mechanical diverter switch inside the USB socket, like inside simple pin and ring/ dual concentric power connectors?

Reply to
N_Cook

Not that I can see - just looks like a normal micro-USB socket (vertical PCB mounted).

--
M.Joshi
Reply to

For the benefit of those of us who can't take apart a Nuvi 42 and look inside...

Was it working then broke? Or did you buy it used broke? How do you remove the battery? unsolder wires? unplug? how many conductors?

What's the battery chemistry? How many cells? I'm gonna assume some form of lithium, but I have no idea how old a 42 is.

Where is the battery protection circuit? Integral with the battery? on the GPS circuit board? Which side of the protection circuit are you measuring?

What's your definiition of good? Battery voltage is determined by numbers. "Good" is not a number, and it can matter.

What's the voltage on the battery connection where you removed the battery with the usb plugged in?

Fuses on the board?

Reply to
mike

The warranty is 1 year parts and labor. If you think it's broken, find your receipt and contact Gamin.

Appearances don't count for much and assumptions are even worse. From your description, it sounds like a shorted LiIon battery. Replace battery: $11.24 I couldn't find any instructions on the web on how to replace the battery.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com