Broken volume control - Garmin 340

Hi Guys:

I'm trying to fix a Garmin 340 Street Pilot which my brother dropped.

The volume control was sheared off the board, but is still still intact. The problem I have is that the pad which connects to the center terminal of the pot was torn off and it looks like the trace goes to one of the center layers of the multi layer board.

Can anyone who has a schematic or PCB layout tell me the closest component which this pad goes to. I would assume the center pin of the POT goes to the audio amp input.

Thanks for any assistance.

Tedd, VE3TJD

Please reply to ve3tjd at RAC dot CA

Reply to
ve3tjd

I doubt you'll find anyone with either, that sort of thing is not released outside of the company that makes it.

Can you get to a stub of the trace to do a continuity check? Hold a probe on that, then touch it to likely places such as pins on any op-amps, you should be able to figure it out with some patience.

Reply to
James Sweet

Garmin does not release any service information or sell spare parts to outside servicers. Their units are serviced mainly by board swapping, unless the fault is simple. To have your unit properly serviced, you must send it to Garmin or one of their authorised service reps. They may want to change the circuit board. This may be not feasible becasue of the cost.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

Tedd

Garmin do not release any service info at all on their products, and usually service by whole unit replacement with one that they have already repaired / refurbed. You might try asking over on sci.geo.satellite-nav. There are some very clued in and helpful guys on that group. It doesn't specifically deal with repair issues, but I've had some helpful advice in this regard, in the past

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The last I checked, they have a one-price-for-all-repairs policy.

--
                 Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!
Reply to

That's what I was afraid of James, and others. I've been in the electronic repair industry for over 23 years, and it still baffles me why they keep such things so secret. The firmware is what makes these things what they are, not the hardward. Brings back memories of the UPS guys (APC) :(

I tried that, but the needed trace is beneath a ground plane which covers the entire board (on the side of the torn pad). I could probably grind away the ground in every direction, but not for a $200 GPS. There is no VIA under the pad.

I'll see if I can borrow a unit from a friend and use his to trace through the trace.

Thanks for the help guys, Tedd, VE3TJD

Reply to
ve3tjd

"Arfa Daily" wrote in news:ZLL0j.9331$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-win.ntli.net... in response of "ve3tjd" previous post news: snipped-for-privacy@d61g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

usually

/

As soon as the device has be opened or modified bu the user, they will no more propose to exchange it.

Four years ago, I get an exchange of my broken unit (after it falls) by GARMIN Support U.K. for no more than having to paid for the express tracked delivery service. They simply send my a replacement unit (obvouislly a used one) in return of my send. This unit is still perfectly working today.

If you plan to send any devise to GARMIN Support service, please don't forget to get in touch with them and wait for the exchange coupon, so that your equipment will not be lost (they receive units worldwide).

the

Why not simply asking GARMIN, same ingenior may perhaps have the opportunity to help you directly. He certainly can't send you any document, but same time oral advise may be suffisant depending of your your skill in electronics.

At least aonother suggestion : Had the C340 unit an audion output socket (such as the C550 which have an

3.5 cinch outlet) ? You may perhaps track the audio circuit from this socket ?

Hope this will be of any use.

C.RET

Reply to
CRet

If it is under warranty they give you a RMA number, you ship it to them, they repair it (or replace it with a like model), and send it back.

I have had three repaired, it took two or three weeks each time and I was fully satisfied. As it happened, I've never received the same unit back, I've always gotten an as good as new replacement.

For out of warranty models, the prices vary. You can look them up here:

Jack

Reply to
Jack Erbes