Garmin vs Tomtom

I see advertisements for Garmin and TomTom GPS units, with lifetime map updates and same size 5" screens for the same prices. Does anyone have any experience with both units that can state a preference. Also, I wonder how the companies behind the units are set financially, a lifetime update is meaningless if the company goes out of business.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Actually, the "lifetime update" (for Garmin) applies only until the hardware becomes obsolete, or the map data is supplied in a form that the unit can't handle. This could be one years, or 20 years.

I have the Garmin 3790, which I got on sale at Costco. Terrific product, but the software has some surprising rough edges that should have been "sanded down" years ago. I suspect the TomTom isn't much better or worse.

One of the things I like about Garmin is the optional "beanbag" dash mount, which for most (but not all) users works much better than the windshield suction cup. (I don't know if there's a comparable mount for the TomTom.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I'm happy with my Garmin 765T. They put out map updates about four times per year and the updates do seem worthwhile. For example, many more limited access highway intersections now have what they call "photo real" views of the layout with signage, ramps, overpasses, and your intended lane(s) marked. It's parameterized, I'm sure, but it does a remarkable job. I'd guess it's three years old by now but. Just loaded the last 2011 update a couple of weeks ago.

WRT mounts, I'm sold on the "sit on the dash with non-slip feet" style. Keeps in reach for bluetooth (phone) or to check the traffic maps.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Wouldn't do for me. My dash has a grain effect so suction feet don't work.

It also has a sloping dash. What holds the bean bag in place?

As for having something loose in the car. I have to bat apples away from my face after they get loose from a shopping bag on the passenger seat and start bounding around inside the car.

--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header

mount,

TomTom.)

So does mine, and the mount works perfectly. It doesn't have suction feet. It's a bean bag with a rough rubber sole.

Friction between the rubber bottom and the dash.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I bought the Magellan Roadmate with free lifetime map updates plus a bigger screen to replace a TomTom that wanted $80 for a map update. (The TomTom was excellent by the way). First thing I noticed was the Magellan does not have the "avoid toll road option", second thing I noticed it doesn't know how to get anywhere! It tried to make a 20 minute detour on freeways to get to my house which was 1/2 mile away,(most use of freeways), on the "least use of freeways" option it took me along country roads for an hour. Totally useless. there seems to be no logic to the routes it chooses. In NJ I hate toll roads so that is a significant requirement for me. JC

Reply to
Archon

Here also, the usual pebble-grain vinyl. Mine is an older model of this that I used with an older Garmin. The feet bottoms have the soft, high-friction stuff that looks sort of like velvet; I believe that a similar material is used as a drawer liner. No suction, just friction. It *will* slide off given enough acceleration or, I suppose, if I tried jumping the Snake River Canyon but in normal driving it just sits in place quite nicely.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Which is something to reckon with.

Keep in mind the usefulness of stand-alone gps units is in a decline with the advent of the cell phones and tables that have gps in them. That and even economy cars have some built-in option these days, although expensive.

I doubt if either company is going to tank soon, but it's sort of like being in the horseshoe business with Ford building the model T plant down the road.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

That's like saying screwdrivers and knives are in decline because of Swiss Army knives.

Stand along GPS/mapping units aren't in the same category as buggy whips. They certainly do a better job at being GPS units then the try to do everything under the sun iPads.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Reply to

Good morning all,

I've got a Garmin 1490T (T= traffic report receiver) which I'm quite happy with. That said, any of the 3 major brands (Garmin, TomTom or Magellian) are likely to be just fine. I would have a look at the user interface, and see which you like best.

I would consider any of these a 5-7 year device at best. At some point the internal battery will die, or some other failure will occur, or you'll just loose the darn thing. Or the new ones will be so much better that you'll want one.

I've found the dedicated navigation unit far superior to ones on phones, and much more economical than ones built into cars, especially if you have several cars in your family.

As another point against built in units, Auto manufacturers charge obscene amounts for updates. I had a friend whose dealer quoted $700 for the new DVD set for his 2005 car. Almost as offensive as charging $500 for a USB interface, which likely cost them about $6.00. ($99 radios have them built in.)

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz