Fuse

Can someone please tell what the amp rating would be if I use a MDX 3A -

250V fuse in a 125 volt circuit?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

3 amps.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Thanks for the info. So I take it the voltage stamped on the fuse doesn't change the amp rating. How about if the fuse has 32 volts stamped on it? Would it still be a 3 amp fuse in a 125 volt circuit?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

It could very well be an infinite (within reason) amp fuse in a 125V circuit. The voltage rating is the maximum that the fuse is rated to safely interrupt without striking an arc. You can always use a higher voltage rated fuse but never lower.

Reply to
James Sweet

Nope. It would be a serious risk for fire and personal injury.

3 Amps is a max rating. 250 Volts is a max rating. They don't interact.

Read these as Do Not Exceed 3 Amps or 250 Volts.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

However, the MDX indicates to me it is a slow-blow fuse...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

"Jim" wrote in news:gzy7h.1146$Kw2.730@trndny05:

NO!

The voltage rating gives the maximum voltage that can be safely interrupt.

If the circuit carries higher voltage, a sustained arc might occur, rather than the fuse quickly interrupting the current flow. This could be dangerous.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

It would still be a 3A fuse on 125v, but not a properly safe fuse, due to the risk of arcover under fault current conditions. 32v fuses will also generally have much lower max fault current ratings, so again it might be unable to break the fault current, under some circumstances, for 2 reasons. In most cases though it would function as expected.

NT

Reply to
meow2222