What fuse to use

It will be difficult to find a fuse that WON'T work in your application.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-on-the-Groups-line-*-*-*+*-*-*-you-post-it

Reply to
JeffM

Check the automotive shops for a 1 amp 12 volt. But it doesn't sound like you have any real delicate electronics that you are protecting so I wouldn't hesitate to use a 250 volt fuse. When a 250v fuse blows in a 12 v circuit it will arc slightly longer than had it blown in a 250V circuit. I would use a standard blow fuse which may only be marked 1 Amp / 250V and not either slow or fast.

little fuse 311001 low voltage standard blow 1 amp

if you can't find them use a fast acting 250V

Little fuse 312001 250V fast acting

Do not use a slow blow unless you have an inductive load i.e. a motor or something else that has a lager start up current.

Reply to
DBLEXPOSURE

I have a 12v timer/relay powered by a 12v marine battery. Timer is powered by battery and has a relay that passes through the load acting as on/off switch. Instructions say to put a 1 amp fuse between power and battery. I can only find 1 amp 250v slow or fast acting fuses at Radio Shack. Will either the slow or fast acting fuse do the job or is there more I need to know to wire this in?

Thanks, Pat

Reply to
palito

With that device you are only protecting against catastrophic failure. Stick any one amp regular fuse in there as close to the battery as possible. If I were doing it I would get a 1 A 12 automotive fuse though. Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

powered

wouldn't

Thanks for the info. Radio Shack's 1 amp 250v appears to be same as the link you sent so am going to use that one.

Pat

Reply to
palito

--
http://www.bussauto.com/pdf/atc.pdf
Reply to

250V fuses will be fine - unlike lightglobes the voltage rating on fuses is a maximum not an optimum.

Slow or fast will make little difference in this application. the main purpose of the fuse is to stop a wiring fault from starting a fire or worse.

Use one of those in-line fuse holders.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

What do they look like? I've only ever seen 250V 3AG fuses used in 1A auto circuits.

--

Bye.
   Jasen