flickering display on Ford factory radio?

So, I'm looking on Craigslist for interesting stuff (I certainly prefer austin.forsale, but Craigslist seems to have become popular lately, so ...) and I saw this post --

he's selling instructions on how to fix some specific problems.

Well, the radio in our 1998 Ford Explorer does have the problem he's claiming to tell you how to fix -- the display is off most of the time, but sometimes it's dim, or part of it's on and part is off, perhaps partly dim, and sometimes it's on normal brightness -- there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it's working, partly working or not working at all. Beyond the display, it all works fine.

Common sense and past experience tells me that if somebody is _selling_ instructions like this, that they're available for free somewhere else online. In fact, it seems that often when somebody is selling something like this, they're reselling _exactly_ what somebody else is giving away for free -- basically they're profiting from somebody else's work, and other's (my, in this case) ignorance about where the information really came from. That, and he's a spammer, and I don't do business with spammers.

Googling around, I found some people talking about the problem -- it seems to be pretty common -- but nothing about an actual fix.

I wonder if this post to Usenet has anything to do with the lack of the actual fix --

sounds like something ... creative from a spammer who might not want this information to be available.

I could certainly open up the radio myself and look around -- I have some small amount of skill at fixing electrical things -- but if it's a known problem, a description of the problem and the difficulty of fixing it wouldn't be a bad thing at all ...

I've found some stuff that indicates it's a loose solder joint

which would be easy enough to fix, though I'm still a bit confused about how a single bad solder joint would cause the display to ... vary like it does now.

--
Is the poop deck really what I think it is? --Homer Simpson

| Common sense and past experience tells me that if somebody is | _selling_ instructions like this, that they're available for free | somewhere else online. In fact, it seems that often when somebody is | selling something like this, they're reselling _exactly_ what somebody | else is giving away for free -- basically they're profiting from | somebody else's work, and other's (my, in this case) ignorance about | where the information really came from. That, and he's a spammer, and | I don't do business with spammers. | |

Looks like I've answered my own question, and found the solution.

Ironically, this post appears to be made by the same guy who runs the shareamemory site. So it appears that he found the solution, posted about it, and now sells it to people, cleaned up and with pictures and such. Which is certainly OK, though spamming it isn't, and fake legal threats aren't (though I'm not aware of any real proof that the legal threat came from him -- it's all circumstantial, though rather convincing.)

And that post was inspired by this one --

on this very group a few years back :)

It's all a matter of finding the right things to search for ...

--
Is the poop deck really what I think it is? --Homer Simpson