Ford radio display is out

I have a Ford Super Duty and the radio display is not working. I've been told that the high voltage power supply is the problem. I was also told that this is a very common problem with this radio. Can someone tell me where to get the part and how to repair it. I am a electronic technician so I can do the repair myself with a little help from my friends.

Please RVSP to me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance, Dom Mauro

Reply to
Dom

I have a Ford Super Duty and the radio display is not working. I've been told that the high voltage power supply is the problem. I was also told that this is a very common problem with this radio. Can someone tell me where to get the part and how to repair it. I am a electronic technician so I can do the repair myself with a little help from my friends.

Please RVSP to me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance, Dom Mauro

Reply to
Dom

Dom: The high voltage power supply is not a separate part, it is integrated into the main circuitry. Since you are an electronics tech you should be able to perform some basic troubleshooting and testing to find the faulty components and then replace them.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

Howdy Dom......Without knowing the vintage or model number of the radio, and without any initial troubleshooting info from you, there's little except guessing left! If this happens to be say an early-mid 90's truck, don't overlook the fact that many of those radios used a backlit LCD display.....small #74 (if I recall) incandescent bulb (or whatever else you can come up with ;).....these were typically a green looking digital display.

Gord

Reply to
GS

Or maybe you have on polarized sunglasses. That will make an lcd display appear totally black from some angles.

This was actually a post from another newsgroup (today) about a technician believe a piece of gear to have a bum display, when the only problem was that had on a pair of the above....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I've got a '99 F150 that had that same problem. Being a tech myself I popped the unit open and found an SMT device had "desoldered" itself from the circuit board. I can't recall what the part number was or exactly where the SMT was located on the board since it happened about 3 years ago but it was very easy to find and resolder back on. A year ago or so I came across somewhere on the web where someone posted the "step-by-step" on how to fix the problem and that seemed to be exactly the same as what my unit was doing. Seems the unit tends to run a wee bit on the warm and toasty side of things so some of the solder joints might be a little weak.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

where

it

of

Wow! If it's running *that* hot it wouldn't be a bad idea to glue a little IC heatsink on it!

Reply to
James Sweet

That's what I had thought too. It seems to run pretty hot mainly when using a CD and having the volume cranked way up. In fact, after a while of doing that (15-20 minutes) the CD will self-eject and the display will show "CD TOO HOT" or some such thing. I have heard that the stereos were built with a little fan on the back end of them a year or so after mine was made. After poking around inside the radio I did notice that many of the solder joints looked like someone might have stood in front of the radio and showed it that they had a soldering iron in their hand and hoped that this would be sufficient to scare the component into staying soldered to the circuit board. I think that QA person who checked my radio might have been on a bathroom break when my radio went past his station.

Cheers, Lawrence

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Lawrence