flexible wire

Yes they did and they ALL said SILICONE insulated wire.

Problem ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Actually not in my experience from good knowledge of those who say simply that in exasperation.

The trouble is that so many people aren't capable of thinking logically (or 'otside the box') that they miss the search terms that get the result they're looking for. Imagination is the key.

Longest it's taken me with a tricky search, 5 minutes approx.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That's not the point. Like so many you assume everyone knows where you live - even the country let alone the area. Which makes it impossible to recommend a local supplier. Why not include a sig which gives your approximate location?

Which is still a pain with spam, then.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The beauty of Google is it will give you the hits in your area first. A Google here on 'silicone test lead cable' gives pages of hits and at the start includes the suppliers I'd have tried first in the UK anyway. Of course if you don't know what to Google for it doesn't help. But in this case the OP had been advised what to look for.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nicholas Sherlock wrote in news:484e33dd$0$14388 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsgroup-binaries.com:

More and more often, usenet users block all postings from gmail accounts and google groups postings because of all the spam and trolling that comes from that direction.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

I've just unblocked Gmail after blocking it totally because of the amount of spam that originates from it. And I'd guess others do the same. And the amount of spam coming from it appears not to have reduced so I'll block it again. Anyone who has something interesting to say of these groups usually gets a reply so I'll see the original that way.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a gmail account, but why take chances? I like the extra layer, spam is rare now and I'd like to keep it that way.

Reply to
James Sweet

Gmail is not the same as google groups. I use a gmail account for my email, and you can set it as the reply-to address, but I've always used my Verizon account to post usenet messages. I quit using ISP email accounts after my ISP changed names 2 or 3 times in just a couple of years, got sick of constantly changing my email address.

Reply to
James Sweet

It is to most filters.

Reply to
Eeyore

At the risk of being on topic, let me say this. They make very flexible flat braid with insulation. Stop by the house and I'll give you some.

Another thing you can do is take some 0.100" coax cable. RG142???or some such. Cut off a chunk and rip out the center conductor. Use the shield. Don't pull on the shield, let it stay expanded and it will be very flexible. Don't let the wife catch you, but you can probably iron it flat...as long as you don't get it so hot that the wire gets stuck to the plastic and ruins the effect.

But the solution is not to bend the wire at all. Twist the wire over as long a length as possible. Go thru the hole, bend it 90 degrees and go for as far as you have room, make a 180 back the same way and 90 degrees thru the other hole. Tie, glue, support it at the 90 degree bends so that the motion causes the wire to twist over the whole length of the loop. You can do the same thing with a circular loop...I guess it's more of a spiral. Converting a sharp bend over 1/8" to a loop of 1/2" can make a substantial difference in the life of the cable. Your hinge may not let you do that, but if you can...

Both techniques can be found in laptop display hinges. mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here:

To those who rely on the limited filters available in their mail/news clients that may be so. However, you will get far better results if you run a news proxy on your machine you can then filter on the Message-ID. Much of the spam I used to see had a Message-ID of 'googlegroups' but the email address it was supposedly sent from was certainly not a gmail one. If I was filtering out everything from gmail I would still be seeing a lot of spam as well as filtering posts from genuine people.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Reply to
Tim Phipps

**You're welcome. Now, go find the wire. It is the best product for the job you are attempting.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Silicone is pretty durable, but I don't understand how it keeps the copper from cracking due to fatigue...

Isaac

Reply to
isw

It doesn't, the original wiring is silicone insulated as well, and the strands are quite fine, but not fine enough. Over time the copper fatigues and the wire breaks inside the insulation then eventually the insulation tears too. The wires run right through the hinge so there's no way around it making a sharp bend every time the tailgate is opened.

After much searching, I found a few products which look promising and will pick up some to play with. Nobody here who replied has any hands on experience with any of them so the information is pretty useless. I'm on my own to experiment and see what works, worst case I'll just keep replacing them every few years.

On the plus side, this thread has significantly expanded my killfile and substantially improved the signal to noise ratio in here.

Reply to
James Sweet

The test lead type wire has ultra fine conductors. How often have you seen test leads fracture ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

have

The golden mantra for usenet and other such systems should be:

Does my post or reply increase the sum of human knowledge? Yes : fine No : don't

Current posting , debateable on that point

-- General electronic repairs, most things repaired, other than TVs and PCs

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Reply to
N_Cook

Crikey - you are a pompous git. People give their time answering questions here for free - and you haven't even the grace to thank them.

--
*Why doesn\'t glue stick to the inside of the bottle?