Anyone who has worked with Altera Cyclone???

Hi

I am struggleing with the bootcode. I have compressed the hardware image to half the size with the buildin tool. Now I want to compress the SW image. How can I do this? Can it be done from within Quartus II or must I do it in some other way?

Hope u can help Thanks upfront GreateWhite.DK

Reply to
GreateWhite.DK

in

I assume you mean that you want to store your Nios firmware in the EPCS config chip using the compressed bitstream facilities?

Well, I don't have the answer, but I'd like to do the same thing. :) I'm using an EPCS4 with a compressed HW image and uncompressed firmware.

It's not quite enough room for all of my firmware, but if I could compress it, it would fit. I don't see any API in the ASMI interface to access compression. I could do my own compression, but since I have another serial flash chip on my board I just use that.

In a few months Altera will be shipping EPCS16 and EPCS64 config chips with lots more room. Still it would be nice to have an ASMI interface to compress/decompress. Perhaps with Nios II? :)

Ken

Reply to
Kenneth Land

Quartus can only compress the SOF file, but if your bootloader software is stored in on-chip memory, the software is compressed as well, as it's part of the configuration of the FPGA.

"GreateWhite.DK" schreef in bericht news:40a37e22$0$459$ snipped-for-privacy@dread14.news.tele.dk...

in

Reply to
Jeroen

Thanks for your answer Kenneth

Should perhaps have mentioned that I am using a flash to store the images in. This is a 1Mb flash. The Ram I use is 2Mb.

I have compressed the HW image to 400Kb. So I only have 600Kb left for all my apps( uC Linux, VoIP framework, VoIP app, chipcontroller sw, etc.)

So you see it is quite nessesary to have more space. If you find a way to do this could you then plz contact me by mail or my Messenger profile. If you want me to contact you if I figure this out I can contact you. I prefer having my dev contact in my Messenger so plz use this.

My MSN Messenger profile is mse snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Always nice to have a realtime chat with people. So if you have any suggestions plz contact me.

Regards GreateWhite.DK

image.

serial