" Flexible" wire for use in headphones with earcups that swivel?

I have a pair of Even H3 headphones, the wire that carries power from one earcup circuit board (where the battery and USB connector live) to the other earcup (where the control and sound circuitry live) shorts to ground somewhere in the headband. I can't find parts for this thing so I am going to run my own wire to replace the faulty one. What kind of wire is recommended for this kind of use, where the earcups swivel, tilt, rotate, etc.? I have solid core multi-strand wire I can peel from a ribbon cable, but I'm concerned that the metal will fatigue and break at the bend points.

Reply to
Mike S

Any chance of using the flexible wire from other headphones - even really cheap ones from dollar/euro/pound shops? IME it can be difficult to solder these wires, as trying to strip off the insulation can often break then thin conductor wires, but it will cost very little to give it a try.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Check if the wire is a single insulated wire, two insulated wires twisted to gether, or shielded coaxial cable.

Ribbon cable is probably to large and stiff. Instead, I suggest disassembling an audio phono cable, mouse cable, or computer serial cable for suitable wire.

This might help: "Soldering Headphones And Enamel Wire"

If you end up with something that is difficult to solder, try wrapping one strand of fine wire around the end of the wire and tin it with as little solder as possible. That should be both stronger and easier to handle.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Thank you Jeff Layman and Jeff Liebermann,

The current wire is single strand insulated.

I'll scavenge something to find suitable wire, and the soldering advice is definitely useful.

Best Regards Mike

Reply to
Mike S