Favorite Tektronix Scope

I need to replace an oscilloscope that has gone to the Great Test Bench in the sky.

What Tektronix scope do you prefer?

I have always like the 7000 series...would you recommend these or another series?

Thanks

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

I like the TEK2465, Personally I don't think that it can be beat for an analog scope.

Reply to
James F. Mayer

"James F. Mayer" wrote in news:t8Ztf.955$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

IMO,the best portable TEK made.

Best lab scope is the 7904,then 7904A,then 7704A. Best plug-ins 7A26,7A13,7B10/15,7B80/85,7B92A Next would be 7603 mainframe,but has a fuzzy trace compared to other TEK scopes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not just TEK. It works that way for everything.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Tek began selling off it's parts making facilities,lowered it's employment from 24,000,to approximately 4000 workers(it may be lower today),and then had to drop profitable lines like the 2465 because they could no longer make or obtain the parts for them.(shot themselves in the foot!)

At one time,Tek made every product sold in it's catalog.Now,most of their products are made by other companies and resold by Tek.

Tek,in reducing it's employment levels,eliminated internal units like "Service Support",that enhanced their product's serviceability,made possible the extremely useful service manuals that included real schematics,circuit descriptions,and parts lists.

TEK Field Service Centers dropped from ~30 to TWO. (Actually one;DCFO,as the other is Beaverton Factory Service)

IOW,the beancounters won.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

That's because they both were designed to be rack mounted,which limits the width and depth of the instrument!

7K series are LAB scopes,designed for flexibility,along with high performance.

That is because the TEK of today is not the TEK of 1945-1980.

If you can find a copy,read "Winning With People;The First 40 Years of Tektronix" by Marshall M. Lee. Tektronix published it and gave every TEK employee a free copy in 1986.

TEK may still have some copies they might part with,or Ebay at some price. Or some Beaverton used-book stores!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:dpc7hl$auo$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

Yes,the TDS line has no schematics,no circuit descriptions in their "service manuals".

The 453/454 scopes have silver-plated switches,and I used to pull the vertical preamp PCB,and clean the switch wafers with Tarn-X(also 500 series scopes),followed by a thorough washing and 3 days in our drying oven. Eventually,the switch contacts wear enough that they need replacing,or someone skilled enough to retension all the wafer contacts.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's how most everything is these days.

But a TDS2012 costs what a 545 used to cost, but dollars are worth

1/10 of what they were then; a 545 used to cost as much as a new Impala. Plus the TDS has digital storage, color display, three times the bandwidth, weighs 1/10, uses 1/20 the power, and is probably five times as reliable.

We're replacing our fancy power-boosted water-conserving $800 toilet because it's impossible to repair.

John

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The point is that they are not hobbyist items anymore. Buy one,and you better have a budget for repairs and cal,and count on it becoming obsolete and unusable in a relatively short time.(SIX years)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ignoramus16356 wrote in news:Wnkuf.11923$ snipped-for-privacy@fe26.usenetserver.com:

You use the 2nd scope to troubleshoot the 1st one when it fails. Not all problems can be troubleshot with a DMM.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I "repaired" the knobs of my HP1707B (same problem) with success by using Epoxy Patch Bond

--

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Anonymous

"Ancient_Hacker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Access to the PS for troubleshooting and repair is terrible,too. That HV assy is buried in the middle of the scope,and it has a sense line,too!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik