Scope dilema

I am looking to purchase my first oscilloscope use from eBay. I have seen many recommendations for the Tektronix 465 series of analog scopes. I have also seen several 100 Mhz Tektronix digital storage oscilloscopes such as the 2232 and 2236 for prices in my range.

My interests are mostly in microcontrollers, but will be using some instrument amplifiers, and probably some audio work as well.

It seems to me that the digital scope would really fit my interests well, but the analog scope recommendations that I see far outweigh anything that I see for the equivalent bandwidth digital scopes.

Can anyone give me some direction?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Greg

Reply to
Greg

I've been using analog scopes since the old round-tube Tek 535 days, and I've totally converted to color digital scopes. The infinite storage, color display, quantitative cursors, frequency measurement, signal averaging, tiny size and weight, are all wonderful.

I use a Tek TDS2012 (100 MHz, 1 Gs/s) for most stuff, including microprocessor work.

John

I'll second that, for all the same reasons. I hardly ever use my analog scope any more.

How much can you afford? If you can afford it, get one of the new little digital scopes, prices start around $600 or so. Even a low bandwidth one will do most of what you want. Then pick yourself up a used analog high bandwidth (100MHz) scope for next to nothing if you need it.

You will never regret spending the money on a digital scope.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

For a fun little project that can get you a very basic digital oscilloscope for under $100, look here:

I have a Tek 475 which I really like. I also have an SDS 200A, which I'd recommend against buying. A little TDS would be wonderful if you have the cash. Here is one on ebay:

For microcontroller projects, a logic analyzer is often more useful than an oscilloscope. Here is one I've been thinking about getting:

I haven't decided whether I need it yet.

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Robert Monsen

I have a 2232 that I use for small microcontroller projects. It serves most of my needs, but occasionally the screen will become rather jittery, followed by loss of a stored waveform. I suspect most of the electrolytic caps have stopped electrolyting, for lack of a better term.

What I could use more than anything is a ton more memory to store waveforms. Of course, I could also use some more options on triggering and other goodies that would make things a tad more 21st Century.

Frank

Reply to
Cmplx80

have

I've been using a customers 'Owon' digital colour 'scope for a few weeks. It's really excellent for storing and analysing microcontroller type logic signals and poking around looking for gross disturbances and it's small, portable and the battery option is great for when your experimenting takes the mains out But ... like all digital 'scopes it's absolute crap at doing anything analogue. It's like viewing through the compound eye of a fly combined with responsiveness of a slug.

Reply to
john jardine

That's only the "low end" digital scopes, i.e. sub $2000. Mid range DSO's are much better at "analog like" performance, and high end digital scopes are superb on analog signals, some are even better than analog.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones