Tektronix 475 scope

Hi,

the first anode (EHT) of my old 475 scope is arcing, either under the cap or to chassis. How do I get to it? (yes I have already got the outer casing off) Is it already a boat anchor? Allan

Reply to
Allan Mac

is the display shrunk? One failure mode is that the HV bleeder resistor goes open. High voltage goes up. Display shrinks depending on intensity level.

Reply to
mike

Over 1000 members in this group to ask:

A lot of former Tek employees, knowledge & spare parts info.

You can download the manual here:

Michael A. Terrell

Thanks for that. Been smelling ozone for a while, now nasty fizz from 1st anode area but can't see anything due to protective can. Don't want to leave it on long enough to look for display, was working ok. Have manual, no help.

Cheers Allan

Reply to
Allan Mac

Grab a copy of the service manual (google) and read up on removing the CRT. There is no removable HV PDA cap. The HV lead is soldered to an electrode and potted in RTV. The 475 is a very fine 200 MHz scope and worth saving.

tm

Reply to
tm

"Allan Mac"

** When ( not if ) you fix it, treat yourself to one of these:

Amaze your geek friends for only US$30 or so.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"

I don't see a Z axis output on that. What does it do, just greatly exceed the writing speed of the scope ?

Reply to
jurb6006

If you look at the schematic at: you'll find JP2, which has ZLINE and ZINV pins.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Finally got around to tackling this. Found old RTV hard and conductive at anode connection. Removed, cleaned and replaced. Good fix. Many thanks for help.

Allan

Reply to
Allan Mac

Well since nobody else has the decency, thanx for letting us know. Alot of people get stuff fixed only to reemerge a year later with another problem.

Reply to
jurb6006

What do you expect from a 40 year old scope? My 475 manual is copyright 1973. Like all electronics: caps fail, plastics disintegrate and components age. I currently have a Tektronix 324, a 453A, two 2465 and a 2465A that need routine maintenance. I had to spend almost $100 for the six missing knobs & three broken shaft extenders for the three

265 series scopes.

I have a 7603 sitting in my truck that I bought to convert into a test bed for repair plug-ins. It came with a 7D01 logic analyzer plug-in and the DF1 Display Formatter. I have to make room on the bench before I can even get it into the shop. :(

I also have a pile of 1720, 1730 and 1730D TV scopes that need work. I need to get busy before none of them work. :(

I've never owned a used scope that didn't need some work. My first was given to me with a shorted power transformer. The next had open resistors in the intensity & focus chain.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well I haven't had much luck with them lately. When my 7603 was running there were scads of them on eBay and everywhere for less than a hundred bucks, notny more.

Anyway, I dunno about requiring a DD214 to hold political office, but I do tnink they should have had at least one honest job in their life. Youknow what I mena by honest job right ? Well they don't.

Reply to
jurb6006

There have been at least three for $25 since this post that didn't get any bids. I bought a 7603 With 7A18, 7A26 &7B70 plug ins for $25 during that time.