Cross-Atlantic freighting of heavy/old electronic kit.

About once a week I get enquiries from the USA for me to repair in the UK, bits of ancient kit that no one will touch in the USA. It usually gets no further because of freight costs.

Anyone know what the cheapest method, presumably by ship, to send say 30 pounds weight bit of kit across the Atalantic ? Customs pitfalls , either way?

N Cook

Look for a freight consolidator. Slow but cheap - they charge per cubic foot.

Be sure the sender does the right paperwork on export so it can be returned duty free. I doubt you'll have a problem.

NSM

Crikey. Thought it would be the other way round, given labour costs in the UK and the exchange rate.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

30lbs. isn't much freight, they should send it to you via US mail, either Air Parcel or Ground Parcel although neither of these methods has a tracking number. There is a simple USPS custom's form to complete. There are limitations on the dimensions of the package. They don't need a freight forwarder, they can do this themselves.

Have your customers speak with a parcel shipping business in their location which is associated with the AMPC (Association of Mail and Parcel Centers). They can provide advice and guidance about shipping packages without going through a freight forwarder.

Reply to
PabloRena ---> AnalProbe