TV ---> CGA Monitor

In the arcade machines that I collect, we use CGA type monitors from Wells-Gardner, Electrohone...etc. These monitors are apparently just the basic circuits from a TV without the tuner. They use standard R-G-B- sync as inputs. In fact there was one monitor I had that had an entire section of parts missing that was the tuner circuit and stuff.

So my question is.. on a Color TV is there a spot where I can tap in and input R-G-B-Sync to convert a Television into a CGA monitor?

Reply to
Steve Lewinsky

The quick answer is: probably for the RGB, at the output of the video chip. And, possibly for the sync.

However, there could be other issues like if the tuner doesn't see any signal, it may simply diable the picture (and sound) elsewhere, so there could be additional annoying details to address.

If you have a particular TV in mind, go find the Sams' Photofact for the set and see if these signals.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Hi Sam...

I respectfully submit that the result could be a serious safety issue...

I believe they do (or did) require opto isolators.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

A CGA monitor is TTL levels on the video and sync, while the TV is 1V P-P NTSC or other video system so you have to convert the signals to drive the TV as a CGA monitor.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

as

I've seen it done, it's easier to just buy a proper monitor though, they'll usually have better convergence and geometry anyway.

Reply to
James Sweet

sync as

of

Not optoisolators, but most older arcade monitors do require isolation transformers.

Reply to
James Sweet

sync as

of

Arcade monitors are CGA resolution, but they're analog RGB just like a TV.

Reply to
James Sweet

Then they are not CGA monitors. They are NTSC RGB monitors.