Problem With Old JVC Receiver

Not sure if this is the appropriate NG, but here it goes...

I have this old JVC digital surround system receiver (mod. RX-703VBK) that is more than 15 years old. I have to repeatedly turn the receiver on and off before the audio part comes on. Sometimes, I also have to switch to a different radio channel for the audio to come on.

Being that I am not technically inclined, is there anybody that knows what the problem is, how to fix it, and if I need to get a repair technician involved?

If a technician is recommended, do you know of a reputable one in the North Dallas/Plano/Richardson/Addison (Texas) area?

Thanks.

--
Tiziano
Reply to

Probably a capacitor problem in the protection circuitry.

N Cook

Boy, that was a leap...

May be just the discriminator and / or VCO have drifted so far off that theFM rarely un-mutes. The OP didn't say if he was using any other sources.

To the OP: It's a bad idea to repeatedly turn on the unit to try to get it to work. Even if you succeed, you have stressed various parts in the receiver, and risk additional more expensive failures.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

channel

sources.

I interpreted no audio as absolutely no audio rather than amp hiss but no signal, fiddling with the radio was just incidental. I just happened to be dealing with a tuner amp with a similar problem of no audio. In that case a small cap in the pa in the circuit that feeds back to the protection part was holding a DC charge like a battery that took hours to decay but was enough to upset the local biasing.

N Cook

Thanks for the tips, N. Cook and Mark D. Zacharias. Yes, when I say that there is no audio, there really is no audio at all... Hopefully somebody can recommend a repair shop in the North Dallas/Plano/Richardson/Addison area.

-- Tiziano

on 11/7/2007 7:21 AM N Cook wrote the following:

Reply to
Tiziano