Crayola + big screen = disaster

So the story begins with a 53" Panasonic HD RPTV, with a great picture. Then several unsupervised children got to the cabinet, and the screen with crayolas, and magic markers.The waxy crayons are now embedded in the very fine grooves of the screen, and I'm open to suggestions as to how to get them out. The set was traded in, a new screen is around $300 bucks, but I'd like to try to restore the original screen if possible. The easy stuff has been removed, and I'm thinking a hair dryer (on low) and a very fine nylon brush to soften and dig out whats embedded in the grooves. Any other suggestions? Happy Holidays! Deke

--

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I
will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three

A clothes iron set on warm with an old cotton t-shirt between the iron and the screen. Start with a low temp at first -- bump it up carefully.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones     | jonz          | W3DHJ  |  linux
   Pueblo, Colorado  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

Hi...

If "crayolas" are wax crayons, I wonder what the result might be if the screen were frozen, then gently flexed. Might not the frozen solid wax crack and fall off cleanly?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I suspect the screen would crack, most plastics get rather stiff when cold.

Reply to
James Sweet

Perhaps take the screen out and take it to the manual car wash or a high pressure washer unit.

Bob

Bob Urz

Take a look at what the Crayola folks suggest

Deke wrote:

Reply to
Bennett Price

Try using WD-40 on the screen. It's the same stuff that you pay big bucks for as a label and adhesive remover, but under a different label. It shouldn't harm the plastic on the screen, but will surely dissolve the wax from the crayons. The magic markers are a bit tougher if they are the permanent type. The WD-40 might work.. might not.. have to try it. If it doesn't work, you might try 91% isopropyl alcohol. Should be able to get that at a well-stocked drugstore. Be sure to test it first in a small spot in a corner of the screen to see if it attacks the plastic. If it doesn't bother the plastic, then it should clean the marker stains off quite well.

Cheers!!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

I don't know what it might do to the frosted finish of the screen, but I've had amazing results at getting "dry marker" (as used on whiteboards) off of plastic monitor cases using those blue and white "Mr. Clean" magic pads -- forgot the exact name, but you can find them in your local supermarket. They also work great for cleaning "kid marks" off of painted walls.

Mineral spirits would be unlikely to harm the plastic, but would dissolve wax -- eventually. Use a toothbrush to get in the grooves, and wipe up immediately with clean paper towels.

Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Wingfield

"Deke" bravely wrote to "All" (24 Dec 05 10:45:35) --- on the heady topic of "Crayola + big screen =3d disaster"

Wax tends to melt around 180'F. I might try dabbing a corner of a cloth in boiling water (212'F) and soak up the wax with it.

A*s*i*m*o*v

De> From: "Deke" De> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:352462

De> So the story begins with a 53" Panasonic HD RPTV, with a great De> picture. Then several unsupervised children got to the cabinet, and the De> screen with crayolas, and magic markers.The waxy crayons are now De> embedded in the very fine grooves of the screen, and I'm open to De> suggestions as to how to get them out. The set was traded in, a new De> screen is around $300 bucks, but I'd like to try to restore the De> original screen if possible. The easy stuff has been removed, and I'm De> thinking a hair dryer (on low) and a very fine nylon brush to soften De> and dig out whats embedded in the grooves. Any other suggestions? De> Happy Holidays! De> Deke

De> --

De> "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. De> I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of De> all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that De> they teach." - Charles Dickens, De> A Christmas Carol, 1843

... Sattinger's Law: It works better if you plug it in.

Reply to
Asimov

DO NOT USE MR. CLEAN

Reply to
kip

Whatever you use, test it in an inconspicuous corner first!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Wax tends to melt around 180'F. I might try dabbing a corner of a cloth in boiling water (212'F) and soak up the wax with it.

A*s*i*m*o*v

De> From: "Deke" De> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:352462

De> So the story begins with a 53" Panasonic HD RPTV, with a great De> picture. Then several unsupervised children got to the cabinet, and the De> screen with crayolas, and magic markers.The waxy crayons are now De> embedded in the very fine grooves of the screen, and I'm open to De> suggestions as to how to get them out. The set was traded in, a new De> screen is around $300 bucks, but I'd like to try to restore the De> original screen if possible. The easy stuff has been removed, and I'm De> thinking a hair dryer (on low) and a very fine nylon brush to soften De> and dig out whats embedded in the grooves. Any other suggestions? De> Happy Holidays! De> Deke

De> --

De> "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. De> I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of De> all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that De> they teach." - Charles Dickens, De> A Christmas Carol, 1843

... Sattinger's Law: It works better if you plug it in.

Reply to
Art

the

Peace Deke

Reply to
Deke

The best way to remove wax from most things is to freeze it. It will likely just pop off. The dyes in the crayons may be the bigger problem. I would NOT use heat.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

If you do succeed in getting this cleaned up, you may want to look into seeing if the manufacturer offers a plastic screen shield as an option. I know these are not cheap and do tend to reduce the screen intensity a bit, but as you have learned could pay for itself if you have little ones.

Bob

came

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Interesting about the WD-40

How to remove Crayons (Regular) from glass and porcelain: Materials

Sponge Liquid dishwashing detergent Soft cloth WD-40® (car part lubricant) Warm water Procedure Spray the surface to be cleaned with WD-40 and wipe clean with a soft cloth. If residue remains add liquid dishwashing soap to water. Wash the surface with a sponge working in a circular motion and rinse.

Return to Step 1 and select another product

Reply to
James Douglas

Sorry, I have two dogs, no kids. The rug rats who caused the damage belonged to the last owner of the set. I just want to get it back into watchable condition, and sell it.

Deke the previous

Reply to
Deke

I'd

has

First I went over the screen with a spray bottle of heavy duty tire/vinyl cleaner made for use on cars. It took a surprising amount of the embedded crayon/whoknowswhat out of the grooves of the screen. I followed this with WD-40, and the screen looks like new! I used a nylon scrub brush on both applications, doing a small area at a time with vertical strokes, then immediately wiping it down with a thick plush towel. After it was all over, I discovered several cracks in the screen, evidently caused by the previous owners brats using the tv to bounce things of off. Nothing I can do about that. In several spots the fine grooves of the screen were actually laid over and deformed due to impacts, causing those spots to refract light differently and show up as either light or dark spots. So, I took a small wire metal brush, about 1/4 " wide, with metal bristles about 3/8" long, (very stiff!) and carefully went down the damaged grooves and managed to straighten them out. Its not perfect, but you have to know where to look to see the spots now. The whole thing took about 4 hours, but after I was finished, it looked awesome, for a 3 year old HD RPTV. This extreme cleaning hasnt seemed to effect the contrast, and after cleaning the CRTs and the mirror, it looks quite sellable, at $600. BTW, I used a DVD player with a blue screensaver hooked up thru component to see the dings/crud in/on the screen as I worked. Thanks for all your help! Deke

Three

Reply to
Deke