rectifier disaster

I made a voltage doubler rectifier and it blew my rectifiers ;/

the components were

1 Variac

2x 4amp at 600V diodes (1N822 I think)

2x 1000uF 200V caps

all configured in a voltage doubler circuit

I hooked my variac to the inputs and a DMM on the output to measure the voltage

I started at 0 volts on the variac and when to 70 and everything was ok(the voltage output seemed right).

after about 70V I heard like a small pop or something and my variac started making a loud humming noise so I turned it off... a few seconds later I heard it make a click sound.

I can't imagine why the diodes blew... I tested them using my TV oscilliscope think using the X-Y plot... they conducted both ways and acted like a short... another diode of the same kind looked different(at a loop at one side).

Surely I didn't go past 4 Amps(my variac is only rated at 3 amps and it didn't blow the fuse) and definately not past 600V's.... maybe it had something to do with the caps? and surely I don't have to connect a load? (I suppose though that I did need some resistance in there to limit the current a little atleast? I didn't think about it at the time as I just copied a circuit in a book I had and it didn't have any resistors ;/).

One thing I did was to cut in half one of the broken diodes and then I stuck them back together and it worked! ;) (well, showed the same plot as the working diode).

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

"Abstract Dissonance"

** No.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

oops... that was another diode I ordered ;/ crap ;/ heh. It was big so I thought it must mean it could handle a lot of power and voltage ;/ On well... there goes 41 cents down the drain ;)

damn, now I realized why I got it... was for my 40V transformer ;/ oh well. (I only got 3 for some reason ;/ heh)

I guess I learned my lesson to make sure what components I hook up.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

Yeah, get some 6A10s and you're there.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Fuses blow at well above their rated ampacity, and take time to do so.

NT

Reply to
meow2222