Suggestions for Big Screen Purchase

I have been very satisfied with my 36" Toshiba CRT set for the past 8 years, however I have been looking at 54 - 60 inch sets. The lcd sets are beautiful but out of my price range when you get that big. There seem to be a lot of new technologies in projection sets. I thought I would seek the advice of those here who maintain them.

If you were looking for a set of this size in the $1500 - $ 2500 range, what would you buy? Also what would you avoid? I have read postings here in regards to coolant leaks and such, is this still an issue? On certain sets (DLP technology I believe) the light source is good for only 1000 - 2000 hours. Is this user replaceable or are adjustments required at the time of installation? I have not paid much attention to developments in the past 8 years, it is amazing the number of choices, and also confusing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Larry Fowkes

Reply to
Larry Fowkes

I've just bought a Sagem DLP rear projector - 45" 16:9. 2000 gbp, and it's a French maker new to TV, although they've made STBs for ages. Dunno if it's available worldwide, though.

Replacing the light sounce is definitely a DIY job - instructions given in the handbook. Haven't found out the cost yet.

On the whole I'm pleased with it. Not as good as a decent CRT, of course, but one that size wouldn't fit in my room. ;-)

Better flesh tones than plasma, and more accurate gamma than LCD.

It does appear rather sat up on low key scenes - so like real film, only worse.

Stunning on progressive scan material. Also HDTV ready.

The first set I've had with more than enough inputs. ;-)

--
*Be more or less specific *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bingo. The lamps used in the LCD and DLP projection sets are good only for 1000-2500 hours maximum. You have to buy from the tv manufacture as every lamp assembly is different and there is no real source for just the lamps. The catch, the lamps cost between $300 and $500, every 1000-2500 hours!!!!

A tv in that size and price range is likely not going to be full HDTV and from a 'decent' brand. i.e. Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Mitz. At this time I would still stick with a 3 picture tube rear projection set or a large diret view picture tube tv set. Best picture for the $$ and proven technology.

David

Larry Fowkes wrote:

years,

beautiful

lot of

advice of

range, what

in

sets

2000

time of

past 8

Reply to
dkuhajda

Hi David,

Thanks for the input. I have seen this size range in some of the better brands, but I believe you are correct when they are not fully HDTV. I may be happier with a smaller screen of better quality. I have been very happy with my Toshiba 36" crt. It is just starting to get a jumpy picture now and then. Kind of a quick vertical jump. I may go ahead and replace the electrolytics in the vertical and power supply section just to keep this one going until I can settle on a replacement.

Larry Fowkes

Reply to
Larry Fowkes

At say 3 hours per day viewing, that's between approx 3 and 6 years use.

CRT tubes used for rear projection have a limited life too - if you want to maintain performance. And they're always out of registration on any set I've seen. Nor do they go anywhere near as bright as a DLP system - which can do 500cd/m2.

Of course like everything else it depends on your priorities.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any thoughts on front projectors? Good? Bad?

NSM

only

use.

HDTV

At

set

and

want

any set

which

Reply to
dkuhajda

We often see lamps (and often lamp driver boards) go out in as little as 2 to 6 months of normal use.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Sounds like the cost-to-own on one of these may make them more expensive over a few years then an equiv plasma or regular lcd.

One concern I have with straight lcd displays is that in computer use I can see a marked loss of brightness and clarity over a couple years use with lcd computer monitors. I have also seen a few where you get a group of pixels that go dark or sometimes grey, then this blemish will grow larger over a period of months. Given the short upgrade cycle of computers this is not so big a problem, but with such an expensive television it would be. Is this a valid concern ?

So many choices, it's mind numbing.

Larry Fowkes

Reply to
Larry Fowkes

They can be very good. However, to me, it makes it too much of an event having to lower a screen etc. I don't have a suitable wall in my 'viewing' room. Many keep an ordinary set too in the same room for causal viewing.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hear the sharp aquos lcd models have a replaceable lamp panel.

The problem with stuck pixels (as well as high prices) is a deal killer though.

I've been in the market for a new TV for six months now and the more I look, the less I like. Will probably get a 27" NTSC sony and wait three or four years for the dust to settle.

Reply to
gerry