convert optical spdif out to analog video

Anyone know if this will work to convert optical out of an HDTV to an old style stereo receiver via "conventional" rca cables. I assume 12vdc can be supplied thru an old atx power supply.

Thanks

Reply to
mart

Yes as long as the optical output is PCM. However, I do not know if your TV outputs PCM or, more likely, DolbyDigital. If the latter, it will not work.

This one is pricey but probably what you want:

OTOH, if you get a new receiver, it will have the proper input.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

It may, at least for programs whose audio is being provided in (or can be downsampled to) "linear PCM" format. This board uses a Burr-Brown PCM1728 stereo-audio converter chip, which will handle data sampling rates up to 96 kilosamples/second. I can't tell from the eBay description, whether this board is designed for just one sampling rate (e.g. CD) or whether it's capable of locking onto a bunch of different sampling rates.

This board will almost certainly *not* handle Dolby Digital, or other multi-channel digital surround-sound formats. If your HDTV tries to send this format of data, one of two things will probably happen: the converter will go mute, or it'll start making horrible noises. You should set your TV's audio mode settings to "linear PCM" only.

Probably not a good idea. ATX supplies are intended for much higher current levels than this board is likely to need, and tend to require a fairly substantial minimum load on the 5-volt line. Without such a load, they either won't produce 12 volts at all, or will produce too high a voltage (poor regulation). They may also be noisier (electrically) than you would want in an audio application.

The board probably doesn't draw more than an ampere at +12 - buy yourself a 12-volt linear (transformer/rectifier/filter caps) "wall wart" supply.

Dave Platt

Thanks both for the info. All I really want is some improvement over the sound, especially bass, of the built-in speakers. 2.1 is fine don't need/want 5.1. I have looked for PC speakers with a decent sub and optical input but they are very expensive and I dont want to spend 100's on a HT setup as I already have a decent receiver and speakers. Looks like I may need to source a decent used receiver/amp with optical inputs and use my existing speakers.

Reply to
mart