IR remote

Upon trying to use my Panasonic portable DVD player (DVD-LS90) I noticed the remote control has no effect on the unit. The battery is good and makes good contact.

Is there a easy way to determine if the problem is the remote transmitter or the receiver in the DVD player?

Reply to
tnom

Many camcorders, and digital cameras can "see" near-infrared light to some extent. Point the remote at your camera, look at the camera's monitor screen, press a button on the remote, and see if you see "light" from the IR emitter diode.

If you do, the remote is at least transmitting... although it might be transmitting the wrong unit-code (if it's switch-selectable between units) or might be emitting gibberish (if it's been dropped, and the internal crystal oscillator has been damaged enough to shift its operating frequency too far).

If you don't see "light" when you push a button on the remote (and if you do, when you try the same test on a couple of known-good remotes of some sort) then there's a fair chance that your remote is frotzed.

Dave Platt

I just tried this. The remote is emitting. It is the DVD specific remote control. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the chances are that the receiver is the problem.

Reply to
tnom

With DVD players, the remote and the player sometimes have a feature where one remote can control two different identical players. The setup on the player should says something like "remote 1" and "remote

2".

If you suspect the remote control:

  1. Try using a digital camera to see if it's emitting. you've already done that.
  2. Find an identical remote control and try it. Good luck finding one.
  3. Find a computer, iPod, or PDA program that claims to emulate an IR remote control.
  4. Reset everything and start over. Reset the DVD player (somehow) and remove the battery from the remote for some extended period.
# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

** No.

But an easy way to check if the remote is driving the IR LED with current is to hold it near a portable AM radio tuned to a blank spot on the dial.

As you press each button a distinctive buzzing should be heard and each function should sound a little different.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

After re-initializing the DVD player and removing both the remote and the DVD players battery the problem still exists.

Some time later I took the remote battery (2025) out once again. By accident I put it back in backwards, for just an instant. Upon re-installing it correctly the remote now operates the DVD player.

Any explanation to explain the above?

Reply to
tnom

You were lucky enough to wipe its statusmemory wittout killing the chip. Congratulations.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Very interesting.

I'm late, but another idea is to buy a universal remote control. They sell for 6 dollars at left-over stores and 10 or 20 elsewhere, and you're bound to have another use for it too. See if it works the DVD player.

Reply to
mm

Oh well.

The remote has a big capacitor across the battery so that when you swap batteries, you don't loose your settings. When you reversed the battery, you effectively discharged the battery thus clearing all the settings. My guess(tm) is that the remote really does have a way to switch between two DVD players, and you accidentally hit the magic combination. You probably could have achieved the same results by simply leaving the battery out for somewhat longer (i.e. overnight) to be sure it's discharged.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Mouser of DigiKey has a card you can buy that will fluoresce under IR light. Take the remote to a tv shop and they probably have one.

Reply to
Meat Plow

e for some extended period.

Follow up:

This morning I tried the remote again. It didn't work. I removed the battery. I replaced it after a while. It still didn't work. I put the battery in backwards. This time on purpose. Then I installed it correctly. It works!

SO.....I just ordered a new remote. At least I now know that the DVD player is fine and the remote is the problem. Thanks for all the responses.

Reply to
tnom

Thanx for the follow-up.

Reply to