Cassette deck small problem

Greetings,

Well, recently I just got back my Denon DN-720R cassette deck from repairs (new play/rec head, new pinch roller assembly and roller itself). This deck had a problem with the speed varying - on some tapes it would slow down and speed up, without the variable speed engaged. I was told it may have been just a stretched tape, but the tapes it affect play fine on my other machine, a Sony.

Checking out the problem on google, it would appear the cause of speed variations are belts that have to be replaced. Is this right, and where can I source belts these days for a cassette deck of this nature?

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John T

You can get Denon parts at Pacific Parts: pacparts.com Make sure your capstan(s) are moving freely: clean & oil and I hope your capstan (main) motor is ok Good luck............Fred

Reply to
Fred Besancon

John, Here's the link to Pacific Coast Parts (not Pacific Parts):

Fred Besancon

John T: I think that you might be doing too much guessing here. It is difficult for me to believe that any shop that would do a very major repair job like replacing and aligning NEW R/P HEADS and rollers..... would not check and/or replace the belts and check the speed.... this could be considered part of aligning the new heads and certainly part of replacing key parts like the pinch roller. There is a lot of disassembly required to replace the belts and the obvious time to do it is while replacing major parts like heads and rollers. I would suggest that you check with the repair shop that "just" did the repairs.... maybe they already checked or replaced the belts.... maybe they would be glad to check the speed problem again for you.... especially since you "just" had it in their shop for a major and , no doubt, expensive repair job.... I know that if my shop did that kind of very major work on a deck for you that I would want to know if you were not happy and there was a basic problem like speed variation.... I would guess that if the belts and shaft bearings are OK that it might be a intermittent motor or motor control problem. Take it back to the repair shop..... be sure to bring along that "bad" tape so you can "show" them the problem. electricitym

- - - - -

John T wrote:

Reply to
electricitym