AIWA mini system cassette problem

I'm having a problem with my AIWA NSX-AJ50 mini-system (@2000). When I tried to use the cassette deck to record a CD (the cassette deck has hardly ever been used). It didn't appear to be moving. I stopped it, but it wouldn't allow the door to open to release the cassette. I was eventually able to open the door with no apparent? damage. I tried the pwr+CLEAR method to clear the system as suggested in the manual - didn't work. What's happening now is when I power on, the cassette roller carraige rises as if to play/record a cassette (whether or not one is in). It then clicks about 6 times and stops. The carriage stays in the up position. (I can push it back down.) Both cassette bays are out of business due to this, plus the annoying clicking. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Dan

belt fell off ?

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

This is a VERY common problem on all Aiwa models, and is cured by fitting a new set of belts. However, this is not quite as easy as it sounds, because one of the belts passes around one of the motor support pillars, so is not easily removed / replaced. Also, the belts must be the correct size, otherwise, the problem will not be cured. Generally, the easiest way to handle belt replacement on Aiwas, is to remove the whole front panel, complete with the decks, but unless you know what you are doing, I would not recommend that you attempt this.

Finally, DO NOT force the deck door open, if you get into a jam-up situation again. The door latching mechanism relies on a tiny plastic pin moulded into the side of the inner door. It breaks very easily if forced. If the deck is locked up, you must rotate the flywheel of the jammed deck by hand, to rotate the cam gear driven from it, until the deck drops back into neutral, and the door latch interlock is released.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks very much. I probably have nothing to lose by trying the fix, because the cassette decks are useless now anyway. And I don't think it's worth a pro-repair fee since the unit was only $125 new anyway. Aiwa lists 2 parts distributors on their website (Tritronics and Andrews). I'll see if they sell the belts.

Reply to
Dan

Dan: At the very least take it to a shop for a repair cost quotation / estimate. ..... and instead of ordering belts, paying shipping, and waiting, most service shops that reguarly service tape decks and VCRs with most likely have the belts you need in their store stock. electricitym . .

Reply to
electricitym

I would second that. Although it's not a ' straightforward ' job in DIY terms, when you do a lot of them, it is for a professional repair shop. I can do one from taking out the first screw to writing out the bill, in about a half hour, and I keep the belts in stock.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Arfa Daily ha escrito:

If i recall, the motor on these units was on several pillars, i think i even got away with cutting thru one to get the belt out and patching it up later. saved me having to disassemble the entire unit (but then, this was on a machine for my own use not a job for somebody else! )-b.

You are correct, and taking a scalpel to the pin on the top of the pillar that gets in the way, is the standard " trade " method of doing the job. The motor can then be gently bent to one side enough to allow the belt to come out through the gap. This has no effect on the stability of the whole arrangement, as it is only a locating pin that sits in one of the screw holes on the motor face. However, if you went about doing it this way, and were a bit ham-fisted in the process, you might cause more damage, so I hesitated to suggest this in my original reply.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily