Problem with Sony TC-FX311 cassette deck

I have a Sony TC-FX311 cassette tape deck that doesn't work. When I insert a rewound tape and press play, it moves the tape forward for about 2-3 seconds and then stops. While the tape is moving, the deck puts out seemingly good quality (including correct speed) audio, as observed by listening through headphones plugged into the headphone jack.

If I press rewind, it rewinds for a few (2-4) seconds and then stops, but it seems to do it a bit more slowly than I might expect (it wasn't mine, so I don't know how it worked previously).

If I press fast forward, it start moving forward for about 4 seconds and then stops. During those four seconds, it doesn't move the tape rapidly, and the speed isn't constant.

It looks like it would be a decent unit, if it worked. Does anyone have any experience with this or similar tape decks to suggest whether the repair would be easy (and what it might be) or whether it would be a time (or money) sink with uncertain results?

Thanks,

Bill

--
Bill Harris
Reply to

I should experiment before posting, I know. I had the cassette deck that wouldn't play more than a few seconds. When I opened the lid, I found an optical interrupter attached to the tape counter, and it wasn't moving. I tried spinning it by hand when it was in play mode, and it began turning. At that point, the tape deck kept running. FWIW, the interrupter was connected to the transport with two belts in series. I'm not yet sure if the problem is internal to the transport or in the pulley that connects those two belts; I think it may be internal to the transport.

Torque still seems low, for rewind is not much good, and fast forward is more like forward with no sound.

From

I presume that
or perhaps
(mostly to warn me not to do this) may be my friend.

In particular, I'm guessing that some belt is no longer in the prime of its life. Any further tips (e.g., whether I'm likely on the right track, whether there are diagrams for removing and replacing the rubber belts and pulleys, or sources for replacement belts -- I did check the FAQ but didn't find any information) would be appreciated.

TIA,

Bill

--
Bill Harris
Reply to

whatever is driving the spools needs checking. my money is on a rubber idler tyre which needs resurfacing with emery paper or replacing. you will have to open the unit up and see what happens - grasp the take up spool to see if there is much resistance in play. Motjon sensors may need cleaning - look for a reflective plate under the spool or a reed switch if the deck is old.

-B.

Most likely the belts are slipping and maybe rubber tyres too, due to age. The autostop cct is usually run by the counter belt turning a magnet near a sensor. check that it is rotating.

Cliff

Reply to
Cliff Top

Thanks, Cliff and B. I think you're right. I think I posted a follow-up to my own note saying that I did discover a motion sensor that wasn't moving; when I pulled on it with my fingers, it started to work. It still doesn't fast forward or rewind as quickly as I think it should, but it's better.

I hadn't thought of the emery paper on an idler idea; I'll check to see if that might work. I was betting on the belts.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Harris