One cassette deck bad - Aiwa NSX-A888

Both cassette decks in my Aiwa NSX-A888 mini stereo system (bought new in 1999) worked well until a tape jammed in the playback deck (#1). (Deck 2, record/playback, works fine, which is why I am in no hurry to fix the other one.) I got the cassette out, but when I tried the deck again, I got very weak sound and the tape sounded like it was running backwards. Tried cleaning the playback head and the pinch roller, but no luck. I'm at a loss to figure out what is going on. If the playback deck is shot or has a defect that's going to cost me more to have repaired than I paid for the entire system nearly seven years ago, I won't bother with it; I'll just use it with deck 2. At this point I'm just curious to know what could have happened to the first deck. Also, where can I find a head-cleaning cassette for this unit? Are they still made, or did they disappear when CDs were introduced?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff, WB8NHV Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV

It is very common on all of the Aiwa decks, for the belts to slip, which results in a jam-up. Replacing them, however, is not what I would rate as a DIY job. As far as the cleaning cassette goes, I haven't seen any new for long time, but in any case, you are far better off doing a manual job with isopropyl alcohol and Q Tips. This is easy enough to do with the decks out for replacing the belts. As far as the weak backwards sound goes, it's hard to say without seeing it, but it could be something like the head bent on its bracket, caused when you *extracted* ( ! ) the tape from the bad deck originally.

I would not expect this to be an expensive job. Any repair shop you take it to should have seen it many times before. If it came to me, it would likely be a standard repair charge plus the belts. If it has given you good service for seven years, and you are still happy with it, I would have thought it at least worth getting a quote on from a reputable repair shop, if you don't feel qualified to do it yourself ??

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Jeff, WB8NHV ha escrito:

jeff, how did you remove the jammed cassette?

-B.