TEAC Cassette Deck W-750R

While I am on lockdown, I am fixing a pile of old equipment. The subject
dual cassette deck is in need of new belts. I found one set on EBay. But the
German vendor replied with "Ve do not ship to ze states!" Another site,
https://www.vintage-electronics.net has what appears to be a pretty decent
selection of belts (and other parts) for numerous models. But not for this
exact deck. My experience has been that manufacturers usually don't re-
invent the wheel and it is entirely possible that a belt set (or two) for
some other TEAC deck might fit. But my Google-fu fails me at finding any
sort of parts cross reference.

Any ideas?
--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com
Re: TEAC Cassette Deck W-750R

I have not use a purpose-made belt in any piece of electronics I own in 30
years, ever since I discovered that O-rings come in about any size, materia
l and configuration one may wish. They are made with remarkable precision,
and will even replace turntable belts without issues. And it has also been
my experience that they have greater longevity than the typical belt - and
may be ordered in a variety of materials to enhance even that.

https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings

Order by sheave dimensions and ID, going about 3-5% smaller on the ID if me
asuring the physical situation, or exactly if ordering from the manual. How
 to get a measurement? A bit of string and a marker.

One further remark: NOS belts contemporary with the device are likely no be
tter than what came out of the device. There is no way of knowing whether y
ou are getting fresh stock, or not.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: TEAC Cassette Deck W-750R

Hi there,

     I'm doing the same thing, going through the lifetime supply of
projects I have on hand.

    Anyway, look up the manual on a site like hifiengine.com.  You must
register, but there is no charge.  Now look for the manual for your deck
and note the TEAC (Tokyo Electro Acoustic Company - that's today's
trivia) part numbers.  Now look at similar decks for the same part
numbers, or just do a search of the part number.

    I often find that companies do series of products, so using your model
as an example,  I'd look for models with the same letters but 550, 650,
850 etc, or maybe 740,760, 780.

Best of luck in your quest, and hope you find your basement floor!  I'm
sure mine is under all of that stuff somewhere....

Stay well,
Tim

Re: TEAC Cassette Deck W-750R

the

Been through this a year or so ago, restoring a few JVC decks and a Nak.
I found these places helpful and purchased belts from them:

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/tape_rec_belts.asp
https://www.vintage-electronics.net/

There is some useful information on the VoM website, including a clever way
 to determine the length of a needed belt (if you don't have or want to dou
ble check the original), and some factors about stretching. You may not alw
ays find the exact p/n or a cross and have to resort to finding a suitable
replacement on your own.

For one of the JVC decks, I needed to measure the belt length after I recei
ved the kit from VoM and the belt was not the correct one for my deck. I no
tified them of the problem.  IDK if they fixed it or not.

The first order of business it to find a FSM for your deck and get the corr
ect p/n
Being the son of a electronics tech, I made it a point to buy the FSM soon
after I bought a piece of electronics gear (and vehicles for that matter).
Good luck

Re: TEAC Cassette Deck W-750R
I bought "Cassette Tape Machine Belt Assorted" on eBay from China for
about $2. It turned out that I needed something slightly smaller for a
TEAC CD player but a razor blade and crazy glue worked well. The deck is
working well after 2 years.

Re: TEAC Cassette Deck W-750R

3d printers can print belts using flexy filament.

There is also one last resort if all else fails. You won't like it but IME it does work for a lot of situations: regular rubber bands

NT

Site Timeline