Ways to remove black 'goop' over ICs on mass produced PCBs?

Is there a 'safe' way to remove the black blob of goop which is often placed over mass produced ICs on modern PCBs?

I just want to faff around with a failing circuit on a festive LED cluster/decoration. Basically it's a cluster of seven LEDs (two yellow, two red, two blue and one green in the centre) that vary in intensity - it looks like the IC is controlling the voltage to the LEDs (and hence the intensity).

Thanks

Reply to
matt

Don't even bother. The 'goop' is there to protect the IC. You will simply destroy it by removal.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Was wondering if that was the case. Ah well, ta. :)

Reply to
matt

-Eh, some epoxy remover might work. You'll probably lose the circuit board, connecting wires and IC in the process though, I understand epoxy remover is pretty nasty stuff. ;o)

Tim

Tim Williams